Does Anyone Own a Giant Vac Self Contained Gravity Dump?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Mr. Big, Dec 29, 2007.

1. Mr. Big

Mr. Big LawnSite Member
    from Erie PA

2. Mr. Big

Mr. Big LawnSite Member
    from Erie PA

I'll take comments on Giant Vac loaders in general.

We have been using Little Wonder truck loader's but I like the self contained Giant Vac for one of our trucks :waving:
  3. dhardin53

dhardin53 LawnSite Senior Member

I Have looked at one of those vacs and cant see the cost verse limited function.
    Looks like to much manual labor to chase the leaves with that hose.

For a few thousand more I like the powered brush into a vack, gravity dump units.

The work i do for the City I could use it every day in the summer as well as fall leaves.

But not able to justify the nearly 20 grand, I have in my shop now a 54"brush that blowers into a smaller 18" vack unit that feed a gravity dumper with a clam shell back door.
    I got a Digital Cam for Christmas and hope to post some pics real soon of my work in progress.
  4. Mr. Big

Mr. Big LawnSite Member
    from Erie PA

Don't quite understand "chasing the leaves with the hose" statement.

With the Little Wonder truck loaders, we get a large pile to the curb and suck it up. If the pile is really long we may have to pull the truck forward once.

Something I'm missing about that Giant Vac unit?
  5. dhardin53

dhardin53 LawnSite Senior Member

No I'm sorry, there is nothing wrong with the unit from what I see. if your use to taking the time to blow all the leaves to the curb and then pick them up. this unit will do just fine.

My comment about chasing leaves around is the time it takes to get then to the curb and the time it takes to load. I have tried both, and id rather just mow/mulch then and let them lay. Then drive over them with a sweep/vac unit and drive them to the dump.
    Mow/mulch then pick them up where they lay, I find I can get 2 or 3 times the leaves in the box in 1/2 the time spent.

If you got plenty of help i guess your way is better, but I'm just a one man operation
  6. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

I have don't any experience with either in the "leaf vac" field. But this season I purchased a Little Wonder push type leaf vac from my main dealer. We got to talking about leaf vacs for trucks and trailers that I may purchase next season. As popular as Little Wonder is, he said they sell more Giant Vacs because of price. They've never had any major dependability issues with the Giant Vacs as well.
  7. supercuts

supercuts LawnSite Silver Member

this is what i dont like about this website, you ask a question about a product and everyone tells you how to do your job rather than answering your question.

as far as giant vac. great machines, work well. i run the older 16hp swing away unit mounted in front of my f550. i hear the 20hp is a much better unit than my old 16hp. mine sucks all day no problem, wet leaves takes a bit longer but still works fine. as far as going to a 32hp, i think that is overkill. especially considering how small the trailer's container is. i think that will be your drawback. not sure how much that thing costs, but if you could buy a nice heavy duty true dump trailer and mount a vac on it you will have a much more versatile piece of equipment. someone said that thing is $20k, if so id stay clear of that for that price.

to the guys telling you how to run your business. are you joking with it taking too long to get them to the curb??? where do live where people dont sometimes require you to take them away? even if it does take a bit longer somewhere, someone is going to want it done that way. and with the right equipment, i guarantee im much quicker blowing them into a pile and sucking them up then the way your doing it.
  8. yardmanlee

yardmanlee LawnSite Senior Member

I dont think that box (5sq yrds) would be big enough to do one of my smallest clean up. the box I built for my one ton dump hold 20 sq yrds enough to do 2 to 3 very large clean ups
  9. Strongmd

Strongmd LawnSite Member

I have 2 25hp giant vacs that i'm very happy with. they're each mounted to the front of a dump trailer. one is 16cy and the other is 21cy. bigger is definitely better. what you're buying is a good start. on an extremely leafy property i could fill up my trailer 2x, but it's very rare. To fill up the trailer once isn't uncommon. You'd be making 4 or 5 trips to the dump at these houses.
  10. Mr. Big

Mr. Big LawnSite Member
    from Erie PA

I have a 20cy hydraulic dump on a 1 ton that is used for commercial props.

The 5cy is going to be used on smaller residential.

Here's how I figured capacity would be enough.

Previously we had to put the leaves in 30gallon paper bags for city pick up. I should be able to get 33 of those bags in 5 cy and that is UNSHREDDED and NOT COMPACTED. So taking into consideration 12:1 shredding and compaction, I figure 120 - 150 30gallon bags would fit.

That would be plenty for our residential route.

oh and I need the bigger engine because leaves are always wet.