Does anyone own a Knapheide landscaper dump bed?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Chicago Landscapes, Apr 5, 2008.

1. Chicago Landscapes

Chicago Landscapes LawnSite Member

I'm strongly considering putting a Knapheide landscaper dump body on a truck I'm buying. I'm wondering if anyone has one on their truck and how they like it. It looks great in the brochures but I don't know anyone who actually has used one. Thanks-

2. PerfectEarth

PerfectEarth LawnSite Bronze Member

It's a well-known dump brand. I wouldn't have any reservations about purchasing one. I have a Crysteel body. They are all manufactured seperately but under that new TBEI conglomerate...

*edit- actually, I don't think it's a TBEI product.... The Rugby Landscape body looks awesome tho...

3. lawn king

lawn king LawnSite Silver Member

Its a great body, well worth the money! Pictured below.

4. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

You are better off with a structral steel constructed dumping flatbed then make your own sides. Any of those stamped and formed metal flatdecks are cheap junk.

You would want something like this

www.morgancorp.com/products/platform_stake/fasttrack.asp

Then have some aluminum sides made for the deck with barn doors on the back.

If your a person that lives in the rust belt a Knapheid (sp) deck will rust out in a few years.

5. Chicago Landscapes

I'm not doubting the quality of the dump or the hoist, there's a ton of guys around here with knapheide contractor dumps and like them. The questions I have are about some of the different features it has and if they really come in handy. For example, if the chute on the tailgate has any ridges on the inside of the gate that would hit a shovel passing over it? What kind of materials pass through the chute easily? The sides are pretty tall, what's it like getting off of it without a ladder? I can't tell from the pictures and my dealer doesn't know what kind of release mechanism does the tailgate have? I screwed up on the last dump body I bought by overlooking some really bad features. If I do it again, I'll throw in the towel.

6. lawn king

The side door is very handy, scuttle gate, upper barn doors you can run open or closed. I have the knapack tool box mounted up front and a venco 11000 # hoist to dump. Its a very nice, versatile, light duty body. Gravel rat assumes its junk like many bodys are, he's wrong! Im starting my 6th season with this body & its held up great!

7. Chicago Landscapes

That was good info Lawn king. I appreciate it.

8. lawn king

I have hauled everything from stonedust to granite stairs to mulch to fertilizer. I plowed 4 seasons with 5000#s of sand/salt in the body for weight.

9. Chicago Landscapes

Lawn king- Does the tailgate latch open and close easily? From the pictures, it looks like there are two pins that need to be pulled. One more, does the side gate door come in handy climbing down off of the bed? It looks like the wider pieces of metal might make convienant steps. Now and then there's times when a ladder isn't leaning on the truck to climb down.

10. lawn king

The tailgate pins (2) top and bottom and can be used both ways. There is a step mounted under the side door, i use that for most of my climbing in and out of the body.