Does anyone pressure wash

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jh88, Aug 3, 2003.

1. jh88

jh88 LawnSite Member

I'm sure someone on here does pressure washing as a service along with mowing. In my area i mow but i have few accounts due to me being new in the buis and a bunch of competition. I thought i could make a little extra money by pressure washing as an extra service. My big question is do u use the water the homeowners provide or do u buy a large tank and pump your from that tank. I hope everyone sees what i'm saying. What would everyone charge. I know there are many factors going into price like size of area water needed etc. But i'm just looking for a ballpark figure.

Thanks all

2. GLAN

GLAN Banned

Use the home owners water
    Tank is only needed if your job allows no access to water.

We do some power washing. Charge an hourly per man rate to start with. Though you can usualy charge a little more. Work I don't want to do I give to a friend of mine.

Becareful with washing wood and some sidings. The pressure can gouge the wood and or remove paint from siding that wasn't supposed to.

3. jh88

jh88 LawnSite Member

Thanks for the help Glan i wasn't actually thinking of doing siding but that's a good idea. I was thinking if i had a tank and supplied my own water i could charge more for my water and i could charge for water and traveling cost. Do u see what i'm saying. I have nothing against your idea but i see more money in the tanks.

4. GLAN

GLAN Banned

Fine, but.

LOL, don't use the excuse that I bring the water if your estimate is higher than anothers.............:)

Granted the water tank it's self is not all that expensive. If your starting out with this venture, perhaps a simple way of just bringing a machine maybe better?

My friend has a tank, and a heater and washer all mounted on a trailer. He needs a generator or a motorized pump to feed the washer at pressure cause just gravity fed is not enough.

And he has to be competitive with everyone else. That tank set up is only for where he has no access to water. Such as fleet truck washing and things like that.

5. jh88

jh88 LawnSite Member

Yes i understand what you're saying and i agree...but, in my area i haven't seen a person yet who pressure washes. So i was thinking as far as saying "I bring the water" when i bid, i can bid higher if i say that because there is no competition as of now in this buissness.

but i do agree if i was starting out and i had well known competition that people would refer to i would probably do what u said and show up with my pressure washer and thats it. But like i said i don't have anyone to compete with and any reason to raise the bid with a lagit reason i will probably take advantage of.

6. Red Dwarf

Red Dwarf LawnSite Member

Don't let the "$" get in your eyes too much.

Focus on providing a useful service to your customers at a reasonable price and they will appreciate it

I have a small washer myself and have been thinking of providing that service. Driveways here get a slime mold on them that will really put you on your duff if you're not careful. Washing is therefore beneficial to the customer and you (and your pride) as well ;)

7. Lombardi

Lombardi LawnSite Senior Member

jh,
    The reason you don't see any potential competition is because a lot of the business like you are talking about is done at night, washing parking lots, car lots, etc. A rig like you are talking about is very expensive and it needs it's own trailer. The pressure has to be extremely high for this type of washing.
    I currently do deck washing/staining on the side. It is very profitable. I would start out with a good pressure washer in the 2100-2500 psi range, $400-$700. This size is all you need for work on houses. I also advertise this service in my ads. I get a lot of the business in the spring and fall.