Does anyone price this way

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by booboy, Nov 10, 2006.

1. booboy

booboy LawnSite Member

For fertilizing I have been charging double the cut amount. For aerating tripple the cut amount. Do you think this is a fair way of doing things. My average lawn is about $30 so $60 for fert and 90 for aeration.

2. YardPro

YardPro LawnSite Gold Member

no..that is not an accurate way...

you have to knoe how much it will cost you to do the job, then add percent profit...

sounds like you are new and have not figured out the whole overhead thing yet...
    better do it quick or you will be out of business soon. Take some business classes this winter at the comm. college.

3. booboy

booboy LawnSite Member

I know a bag of fert. costs me $12 and it takes about 15 min. of my time. So I think $60 seems like a good price. Even with all my yearly expenses I will put about $35 in my pocket.

4. Josh.S

Josh.S LawnSite Bronze Member

No I would never do pricing this way, what happens if you have a little lawn that is piece of a drive away from you, even though it isn't many sq ft, you have to charge alot because of excessive times in trimming fences and different things like that, how are you going to tell them that your charging $120 to fertalize a little yard....

Also what happens if the opposite happens, and you have a really big yard that is all open and smooth, and its right next to where you already mowe, so you do it for $40, and there is no way in the world you can fertalize that for $120....

I think that the charge for aerating isn't bad, but fertalizing we charge by square foot (but i contract out anyhow)...

5. wowmowwow

wowmowwow LawnSite Member

tell me if im wrong...its $65 for average joe to rent a plugger and pick it up him self, more if its delivered. so if you own a plugger and charge 65 dollars plus your hourly rate, say 50 bucks, then you get $115 for plugging a half acre.... not counting the cost of suplies and labor for spreading it. thanks

6. ACutAbovesiny

ACutAbovesiny LawnSite Senior Member

Thats over 50% profit....I dont think so. Take a class on business management.

7. Flex-Deck

Flex-Deck LawnSite Silver Member

I totally agree with your formula, except I charge 2.5 times mowing for fertilizer and spraying, and 4 times for aeration (core). Thanks Brad

8. Elite Lawn Care

Elite Lawn Care LawnSite Member

My charge to fert is the amount of fert that will be used, that cost plus 65% markup on the fert, then man-hours to spread it. i.e. say that 18000 sq ft will need about 80 lbs of fert based on my soil test, depending on the soil only needing nitrogen, 80 lbs of ammonia sulfate is about $30 my cost at the time. so 30+20+25=75 30 is cost of fert, $20 (19.00) is the markup (rounded up), $25 is labor. Profit for basic fert on 18000 sq ft is $55 for less than an hours work. Min labor is always one hour. That is only Ammonia.Sulfate fert not a complete fert, that depends on which brand is used and over all cost. it works no matter what the cost is.

Let me ask a quick question, are you licensed to do fert applications. some states may require a license to commercially apply Fert. Others do not, BUT the EPA requires that any application of controlled substances such as Herbicides and pesticides need to be licensed. they list Herbicides as pesticide and all pesticides are controlled commercially.

9. Elite Lawn Care

Elite Lawn Care LawnSite Member

my cost for fert is an example and not actual I buy mine wholesale so retal from local store will be more overall but the method still works. Also I am covered by my insurance for fert applications, it is not cheap; I have dove a few jobs for a people who hired an LCO to fert that over did it and killed the lawns and could not recover their losses other than sueing the guy personally. I keep my nose out of those things, but I know this, never mess up somebodies stuff that has more money than you, they always can afford a good lawyer. This is not me personally but I have seen two guys destroyed by one client. One was a mason, the other concretebboth proffesionals with years behind them. The mason exeeded the load on the roof with rock (not sure how), and the other guy was a driveway that cracked. same job, client sued both and won, They are now in the poor house even after Insurance paid out becasue they did not have enough coverage.
    I will not touch that guys property.
    CYOB cover your own butt

10. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Here's my price chart for aerating with a tine-driven, solid axle, walk-behind unit:

1/4 acre lot (~11k sq.feet): $40.00 actual labor: 20-25 minutes.
    3/8 acre lot (~16k sq.feet): $50.00
    1/2 acre lot (~22k sq.feet): $60.00 actual labor: 45 minutes.
    5/8 acre lot (~27k sq.feet): $70.00
    3/4 acre lot (~33k sq.feet): $80.00 actual labor: 1 hour.
    7/8 acre lot (~38k sq.feet): $90.00
    Full acre lot (43,560 sq.ft):$100.00 actual labor: 90 minutes.

Actual labor is time from engine start to engine stop, you may be able to load / unload in that time but whatever.

Not as magic but almost as simple, and rather competitive.
    Oh yes, I found the little throttle adjusting screw which, after I played with it, got it going WAY faster than it used to, I love that racing aerator, prepare to RUMBLE lol!

Granted, it ought to be more... But my aerator is an older unit I bought used 5 years ago for a grand, it is so low maintenance because it is so simple, my overhead really is low.

So adjust to your liking, or use 'as is,' hope it helps.