Does anyone prune trees for free in order to mow easier

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by JABBERS, Jun 16, 2011.

1. JABBERS

JABBERS LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

My helper seems to think I should not charge to trim up trees so its easier to mow. I have been charging the customer to trim up all there trees so I can mow and use the weed trimmer easier. Its not all the time little limbs you can use the little hand pruners for, but limbs you need a pole pruner or chain saw for 2 and 3 inches. So what do you guys think, charge like I have been charging or free. Please give me some feed back. Thanks

2. stan the man

stan the man LawnSite Senior Member
    from Maine

i don't do anything free

3. billythekid

billythekid LawnSite Senior Member

if it's extensive then yes i would charge them. however if it's only a branch or to i would throw it in for free and when you're finished mention you through it in for free and it might land you some more business in the long run. Also make sure you have permission to trim that tree so you don't step on any toes lol.

4. vencops

vencops LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC

yessiree

'course.....I only have one residential account that is inhabited.....lol.

5. knox gsl

knox gsl LawnSite Platinum Member

I don't cut them for free, but will try to upsell the service. If they don't want it I will work around the trees. Around here Bradford Pears are the worst and I will mow as close as the tree will let me.

6. vencops

vencops LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC

Then, I'm assuming you'll either cut the rest with a trimmer or a push mower.

Does it cost more to do that, every week......OR, maybe just ask the client if you can snip a limb or two on your dime......and leave the trimmer/21" on the trailer?

Just askin'.

7. Agreen-go

Agreen-go LawnSite Member

The first thing I tell my customers is..."I don't do anything above 6' "
    In Nevada and I don't know about other states, you cannot trim trees with out a tree trimmers business license.
    That being said if a customer asks us to trim palm fronds or a tree I will thin out what I can reach from the ground with a hand saw.
    And that is not done for free.
    Agreen-go

8. JABBERS

JABBERS LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

These limbs make it dangerous to mow and trim around, my guy got all tore up today trying to get to close.

9. knox gsl

knox gsl LawnSite Platinum Member

I've only had this be a proble, on just a few properties, and they were to cheap to pay for anything more than mowing and knew that I would only mow what I can reach. On one property that really comes to mind, if I cut everthing back that needed it would take 4 hours and a full trailer of limbs.

10. jsslawncare

jsslawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

Yes. Small stuff only.