Does anyone run Big Dog Mowers?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by Big Dog Diablo, Aug 17, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WilsonBoud

WilsonBoud LawnSite Member

I researched BIG DOG, when I was shopping in April. Their dealer is the closest one to my home, and a cousin and his dad both have one. Those two units have been trouble free as homeowner models. I don't know what models they are......

The salesman indicated the BIG DOG is a HUSTLER rebrand. I don't know for sure, that's just what he said.....

I went with Cheetah in July......

:usflag: *trucewhiteflag* :usflag:

2. weaver

weaver LawnSite Bronze Member

3. Big Dog Diablo

Big Dog Diablo LawnSite Senior Member

Well I will have some pics and will write a review in the next week on the Diablo. I do own one but will do a tell all as far as likes and dislikes and wil be honest. I hear all the time and have seen it said on LS that Big Dog is just a cheap knockoff of Hustler. Before I even start my review I will say this, the Big Dog is as good a commercial mower as anything on the market. I will write an honest review and post it on LS. Stay Tuned....

4. Big Dog Diablo

Big Dog Diablo LawnSite Senior Member

The FX 850 is a 27hp. The FX 921 is the 31 hp

5. Ridin' Green

Ridin' Green LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Michigan

That's right, and Excel still sells the FX850 labeled as 31HP for some reason. After this much time since the rating change, the only thing I can think of is that they bought a ton of them before the rating change took place that were still labeled as 31 HP. the local Hustler dealer's SZ's are the same way.

I look forward to your review. If you can get some, I am interested in pics of the underside of your deck too. Now you have me curious about the "new" deck for 2014. Be interesting to see if it is the VX4 or not.

6. puppypaws

puppypaws LawnSite Fanatic

You are 100% correct and this was my mistake, I knew the FX921V was the true 31 with the same block (999cc) as my FX1000V 35 hp engine. I appreciate the correction, we need to keep these numbers accurate so confusing information such as I added does not move forward.

I just got off the phone with a Big Dog dealer that is only about 8 miles from me.

This is very confusing to people, and I did not argue the point, he stated, "the FX 850 is the 31 hp engine even though Kawasaki has changed their rating system of which I don't know why, and now calls it 27 hp." This tells me people are going to continue to stay confused, this gentleman (of which was extremely nice) is going to sell the FX850 as a 31 hp engine.

He and I talked for a few minutes and he was telling me the Big Dog was the most mower for the money on the market today, and that the parts were interchangeable with the Hustler mowers.

He did have a very good price, he quoted $8000 for the X-1060 with the FX850, and $9100 for the Diablo. He was explaining the Diablo had different hydraulics with a larger oil cooler and 26"/6 ply tires. He made the statement that not many bought the Diablo for the fact most could not mow grass at 15 mph, but he sold quite a few of the X-1060 mowers.

7. weaver

weaver LawnSite Bronze Member

8. puppypaws

puppypaws LawnSite Fanatic

9. WilsonBoud

WilsonBoud LawnSite Member

In my extensive research for my perfect ZTR (Jan to April '13), I viewed many you-tude videos. I found it very confusing in the early videos (pre '09) when pictures of Kawasaki engines displayed the badge FX850 and 31HP, while dealers were saying the FX921 was a 31HP engine.

I finally put things together, and realized some ZTR videos were older than the "Power Declaration Issue", and were still out there.... very miss-leading.

:usflag: *trucewhiteflag* :usflag:

10. Ridin' Green

Ridin' Green LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Michigan

It is really confusing. Excel though, is being dishonest in their advertising. They still call the FX850 (at least as of their 2012 catalog, and their sales people when you call this year) that engine a 21, and they know full well it isn't. They can get away with it because the engine manu labeled it and not them, and it helps them sell a lesser powered machine more easily. There's nothing wrong with the 850. I run one and it is plenty of engine for a 60" deck. I just don't like the misleading BS, especially when someone wants a true 31 hp minimum engine, but is not aware of the rating system change a couple years ago.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.