Does anyone run rear discharge mowers?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by SEALAWNMANAGEMENT, Mar 8, 2008.

1. SEALAWNMANAGEMENT

SEALAWNMANAGEMENT LawnSite Member

I was talking to another Lco the other day and he was telling me about how they bought 2 Hustler 72" rear discharge mowers last year. He said they liked them and haven't had any problems. I was wondering if anyone else used them and if so is there any disadvantages to them.

2. Dynamic

Dynamic LawnSite Member

We have not used them yet but are definitly considering them with Husquavarna. We thought they would be perfect for some of our commercial properties where the road is on one side and parking lot on the other.

3. jtoman

jtoman LawnSite Member

never used them but it sounds like a great idea.

No more grass in the mulch beds.

4. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

I have used them on a JD front mount mower. Cut quality just wasn't there but they are safer for mowing along ditches and right of ways, parks, etc. I didn't own this mower, it was owned by a company that i worked for. We couldn't use it on the main lawn areas, just mainly the right of ways that diddn't need to be pristine.LOL

5. tb8100

tb8100 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from TX

why not just get an OCDC so you're not stuck buying a Z you might not necessarily want.

6. Turf Commando

Turf Commando LawnSite Bronze Member

If I read about them correctly, they distribute clippings evenly, vs side discharge clumping

7. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

Grass distribution is terrible on any rear discharge machine. In thick conditions, all your clippings are in a windrow right in line with the deck. With a side discharge, they are spread out over a width equal to 3 ,or maybe four times the width of the deck. What ever you mow with a rear discharge mower deck, will look like you have it windrowed up, and ready for the hay baler.
    They do have their uses, but are not for areas where you want a nice finish cut.

8. SEALAWNMANAGEMENT

SEALAWNMANAGEMENT LawnSite Member

That was one of the things the guy I talked to said he never had a problem with. He said that it had never clumped or looked bad even when tall or wet. But I ahve never used one or seen one in use so I don't know.

9. GravelyNut

GravelyNut LawnSite Bronze Member

I think a lot of the cut quality issue has to do with the area and type of grass. Dealership delivered 4 new 60" rear discharge Super Zs yesterday to one company. They ordered them that way.

10. puppypaws

puppypaws LawnSite Fanatic

That is very interesting, I have a neighbor that loves the speed I mow with my Super Z so he went to my dealer, which had what looked like a new; but used rear discharge Hustler Super Z. He bought this mower and I figure it was an excellent price because no one around here will use them. I was talking with his 76 year old father at church and asked him how his son like the new Hustler, he said I think he likes it alright but can't figure out how to keep it from looking like a blanket of cut grass right behind the mower. I did not comment, but wanted to say that is the nature of the beast and I personally would not have one if you gave it to me, unless I could sell it for the profit.

It may have something to do with the grass, but in this area we have stiffer bladed southern grass which should work as well as possible with that setup, but doesn't