does anyone run synthetic oil?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by blakerugg, Apr 27, 2010.

1. blakerugg

blakerugg LawnSite Senior Member

just wondering, does anyone use it? is it worth the extra few bucks? will it really make a difference?

2. Cboy7

Cboy7 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Fl

same here.. I really would like to know.

I have read theres no difference in motor oil , just the buy the cheapest brand.

3. dwost

dwost LawnSite Bronze Member

If it's motorized, takes oil, it's got full syn flowing through it. :) It's well worth the extra $$.

4. unkownfl

unkownfl LawnSite Gold Member

You have to buy a real synthetic though. Not all are true synthetics. Only Mobile 1 and Amsoil I know of are true synthetics but I'm not a big oil guy so there could be more. I'm pretty sure all the castrol is dino oil package in synthetic bottles except the 0w30 made in Germany stuff only found at autozone and that could still be dino just really good dino stuff.

5. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Every engine of mine runs synthetic, mowers, cars, truck, 2-cyclers, too.
    e.v.e.r.y.t.h.i.n.g., no exception.
    Matter of fact the ONLY conventional oil I have is non-detergent for the air compressor.

I also run premium 93 octane gasoline, same standards.

6. MikeKle

MikeKle LawnSite Platinum Member

The synthetics may just be regular oil and we all fall for it?!! I have heard many, many times, the fuel at gas stations is ALL the same, no matter what grade you buy. tests have even been done on samples that proved this to be true. IS there an easy way for anyone to tell, like a simple DIY test, just to be sure?

7. blakerugg

blakerugg LawnSite Senior Member

im really not sure. i trust shell though. i usually run 89 instead of 87, but maybe i will switch everything to 93. i plan on using mobil 1 from here on in on everything, and then im going to look into a high perf 2 stroke mix

8. Rivervalleylawns

Rivervalleylawns LawnSite Member

Royal Purple is this Sh!t. I use it in everything and run 91 to 93 octane in everything, even mowers as well.

However,
    I really have some doubts about synthetic in the long haul of the motor. Synthetic is a much finer blend of oil, right.? Conventional in and older motor I think is better. In az and I'm sure everywhere else, older cars always leak oil. Conventional will seal up holes/leaks. As synthetic will continue to leak and not seal up. I'm no mechanic by no means, this is all based off of the motors I have seen in my lifetime.

On a seperate note, the previous governor of az, janet napaletano (now chief of homeland security). She said about 10 years ago that it is not beneficial nor any different for you to run higher octane in your vehicles. Now I have never run it in any of my trucks but always do in my mowers, 2 cycles etc.
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. CincyWolf

CincyWolf LawnSite Member

Synthetic is clearly superior but you should run conventional long enough for the rings to seat because synthetic lubricates better and it will actually prevent the rings in most engines to properly mate during breakin and if the rings do not properly seat then your long term engine performance will suffer. Beginning with the 2nd oil change go to synthetic (this assumes the first change is a very short cycle like 8 hours and the 2nd change at about 50 hours when the engine should be broken in). You should run nothing but synthetic in your hydros too. Most hydros are shipping with synthetic now but if yours did not or still has conventional oil I'd suggest changing it out. In fact running synthetic in your hydro is much more critical and I'd do that on day one because they will run cooler and the oil will not break down as quickly as conventional oil.

Regarding gas, high octane additives delay combustion to prevent premature ignition. An engine pings or knocks when the fuel mixture starts to combust before the optimum time and this hurts performance and fuel economy. If the engine is not designed to run high octane then you are just wasting your money to use it and in that case regular or mid octane blend should be fine. All high performance 2 stroke engines like Stihl should use Premium/High Octane fuel to get the best performance. The compression ratio, fuel intake timing and ignition timing are all designed for higher octane blends so when you run a lower octane the fuel mixture tries to combust before optimum compression and spark timing and this creates ping or spark knock. If it is really bad you can do engine damage up to and including damaged spark plugs and melting a hole in your piston.

10. overtime mp

overtime mp LawnSite Member

Synthetics is all I use in everthing that I own.
    Well worth it offer conventional oil.