Does anyone run the Walker 52" deck with the mulching baffles?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by walker-talker, Oct 6, 2003.

1. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

Before I purchased my 52" deck I did a lot of searching on it. Most the reviews, if not all of them, said they side discharged when using the deck. When I purchased the deck, it did not come with the mulching kit (double blade set-up, but no baffles), so I thought no big deal. Well, curiousity has been getting to me and it's been over 1.5 years since I've owned the deck and did any searches on the subject, so I thought I would pose the question again.

Does anyone use the mulching baffles on the Walker's 52" deck?
    Do you use the SD in the spring, then put on on the baffles in the summer when there is less growth?

Oh, by the way, I mow mostly fescue lawns, if that makes a difference.

Thanks
    MATT

2. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

This past spring, I had a chance to demo the 52" deck with a mulch kit. I used it on a church property I do. The grass is St. Augustine, and it was pretty thick the week we mowed with the 52". It did a beautiful job, and it did not have doubles on it. In fact, it did a nicer job than my 42" mulching deck. I purchased a used 52", but have not yet put a mulch kit on it. I plan to add the kit this winter. My Walker has the 20hp Kohler. It handled the deck just fine. However, if I was buying a new Walker, I would probably go with the larger EFI engine.
    :D

3. walker-talker

from Midwest

Thanks for the reply mowingman! I do have the 26 EHI Kohler on my Walker and wil most likely get the same engine on my next Walker. Next spring I will more than likely purchase the mulching baffles from my dealer. I am not sure what they cost, but I hate to buy them just to find out I don't want them on the deck. I might try looking for a used set.

Thanks again
    MATT

4. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

My dealer quoted the mulch kit at about $200.00, as best as I can recall.:)

5. coalburner

coalburner LawnSite Member

I have the mulching kit on my 52 and love it. Bermuda (and some weed yards) are all that I mow. I take it off during the driest part of the summer because of BAD blow out, but as soon as it rains again I put it right back on.

George

6. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

I bought the deck used with about 100 hours on it and it came with the mulch kit but I have never used it. I may bolt it on to try it for leaves this fall. Wouldn't it be nice if a manufacturer would figure out how to make a deck that is easily converted from full mulch (all 3 chambers) to full SD in less than 30 seconds. The closest thing is a OCDC but that just blocks the full discharge. Mayby someday I will patent one.

june3 125.jpg

7. walker-talker

from Midwest

Well this is what I have heard....about the BAD blowout. So you mean the grass that has been cut blows from underneath the deck? Could that make any more of a mess than discharging the grass?

MowEd, I agree......that would be a wonderful invention. I see something like that being very possible.....like something that might drop down from above and screw down with wing nuts. I am just thinking out loud, but someone will come out with something.....someday.

MATT

8. Meg-Mo

Meg-Mo Inactive

Try the MEG MO blades on that 52 walker. On our web site we show the 52 walker that we use with out any baffles. The mower had the speed up kit on it so could mow at about 10 miles per hr and it work great.

9. coalburner

coalburner LawnSite Member

walker-talker
    When it gets dry and the grass gets thin there is nothing to hold a seal. So right in front of the left caster wheel it blows out forward and then comes right up in my face. That is when I take it off and go to side discharge.
    Would I buy another mulching kit? YES!

10. PFHunter

PFHunter LawnSite Member

I had no idea that a Walker could cut at 10 miles an hour! I thought the speed up kit only put them at like 6-1/2 or 7 miles an hour. How did you get it to go 10 mph?