Does anyone seed below georgia?

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by Sunstate Lawn, Jan 30, 2008.

1. Sunstate Lawn

Sunstate Lawn LawnSite Member

Does anyone seed in the southernmost states? I see a lot of sod go down in Fl, but rarely do I hear of anyone seeding. Why is this? Also I hear rumors of a St. Augustine seed?:confused: Anyone know anything about that?

2. PHS

PHS LawnSite Senior Member

Bermuda can easily be grown from seed but I think the problem w/ St Augustine is the actual seed harvesting is very difficult so seed isn't usually available. I don't know how well it would grow from seed if they were available.

You can buy Centipede seed but it's very slow to establish that way and the sod is reasonably priced so most people go the sod route.

Another thing that comes to mind is that around here not all that many people have lawn irrigation systems so spending the time and effort to seed can be a little hit or miss if the weather doesn't cooperate.

3. Sunstate Lawn

Sunstate Lawn LawnSite Member

I actually had someone ask me about bahia seed. It's only the second or so time that I've been asked so I was wondering how popular it really was past georgia.

4. Grits

Grits LawnSite Silver Member
    from Florida

I have a Bahia seeding job scheduled for the end of March. Will be doing a small backyard with Argentine Bahia.