Does anyone still walk behind a walk behind????

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Jon99, Jul 17, 2002.

1. Jon99

Jon99 LawnSite Senior Member

Just wondering, its been a while since I have seen anyone walking behind a 48" or 52" WB....
  2. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Why because its so dry that the grass isn't growing???

I walk behind mine for about 50-60 hrs per year. A sulkey would just hinder its usefullness in the areas I use it. (Gated pools, steep hillsides, real tiny yards)
  3. Jon99

Jon99 LawnSite Senior Member

Actually what got me thinking about this is today my velke broke and I did my last 3 yards walking, made the yard look much nicer, but about killed me.. :)
  4. greenman

greenman LawnSite Addict

my sulky never comes off of my wb. don't like to jog behind it in 3rd or 4th gear. if its small enough where I can't use the wb, I use a 21 inch. Hills? never been a problem.
  5. Premo Services

Premo Services LawnSite Bronze Member

I walk behind my walkbehind too..:D
    BUT only on the steeper hills, I will ride if i can. One day of the week, I don't use the lazer, only 1 job I could use it on so I use the walk behind all day. That is mondays, the toughest day of the week!!!!:cry:
  6. lawnkid

lawnkid LawnSite Senior Member

I always walk behind my mower. It's great exercise and plus well it doesn't really make a better cut because the cut anyway sucks so.. I usually don't use it on the nice yards. I usually only use it too when i'm not using doubles. My engine is too weak. But soon that problem will be fixed!:D
  7. lazer 46

lazer 46 LawnSite Senior Member

I have over 120 hrs. of walking on my TThp this year. I also have over 100 hrs. on my Lazer. I could ride on some of the lawns that I walk but I choose to walk because it keeps me in better physical condition. There are many jobs I use both the walker and the Lazer both.
  8. GrassMaster84

GrassMaster84 LawnSite Member

I have only walked behind my mower around 2 time this whole year, the rest I leave up to the velke!;)
  9. greenflag

greenflag LawnSite Member

I just got a great deal on a Proslide($200) but I hardly use it.

Being 6'7" & 250lbs I think I slow down the mower to almost the same speed as when I walk.

I do tend to walk fast anyway, so I have thought about selling the proslide just to get my money back out of it. :)
  10. Jimbo

Jimbo LawnSite Bronze Member

I walk......I feel lazy now that I got my ZTR, so I walk when using the WB. I even have a Velke for it but it's not installed.

I figure if the yards big enough to ride Im using my ZTR, and sitting.