Does anyone think this mower can hold up to residential

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Ecoscape01, Feb 8, 2007.

1. Ecoscape01

Ecoscape01 LawnSite Senior Member

I know it seems crazy but I have no way to transport any commercial equipment so I was hoping I could start out using this mower http://www.cleanairgardening.com/su.html, doing between 10 and 15 small lawns a week 1/4 to 1/3 acre lots. The company claims that it can be used with or without the electric motor so if it burned out on me during a job I could just rip the batteries out to make it lighter and do it by hand to finish the job. If it doesn't last than I would go out and buy a gas mower. Like I said, I know it sounds crazy but this is the only feasible idea I could come up with to start the business and keep overhead low. ANY feedback would be appreciated

2. HOOLIE

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

I'll admit I know nothing about that mower...but still I don't think that's the way you want to go.

Do you not have a truck to transport equipment???

3. RedMax Man

RedMax Man LawnSite Platinum Member

Never seen one of those before. I'd stay away from it, that won't hold up cutting 10 - 15 lawns a week. For that kind of money you could get a Honda self propelled 21" mower at Home Depot or a commercial 21" mower. If your cutting that many lawns, you should be able to afford a decent mower easily. Look for used commercial mowers, they'll way outlast that toy.

4. BTLS

BTLS LawnSite Member
    from Texas

I'd say "back to the drawing board." You're kidding, right? Honestly, you can get a small, regular, light weight mower that will hold up for a season or so. I'm guessing you're a kid- good to start working and all but don't go electric or rechargable "anything." Well, maybe hedge clippers, but that's it. Your mower is your bread and butter. Go gas engine. You'll hate that thing. Just my opinion. Personally, I'd pay someone to smack that salesman around for trying to sell it to you. Note: do not pay someone to smack the salesman around.

5. Grits

Grits LawnSite Silver Member
    from Florida

It won't last long. I would feel like a ****** operating a battery powered mower. To be looked at as a professional, you have to act like a professional. Operating a battery powered mower does not fit into this category. That being said, if this is the only way you can make "the dream" come true.....then charge them batteries and get to mowing. But I strongly feel there has to be a better way. There are many professional LCO's trying there best to have this profession recognized as something other than "Joe-Blow and his Mower". I feel that doing things of this caliber is going against what many are trying to accomplish. Please try to go about this a different way. Don't be out in public "playing" LCO and giving the rest of us a bad image. If you refuse to be persuaded otherwise...at least DO NOT LOWBALL. You should charge way more than traditional methods and market it "ECO-Friendly"....like you mentioned in your other post. But I doubt it is not that much eco-friendlier than a real mower, with today's emission standards. This thing runs off batteries...the batteries won't last forever and then you have to get rid of them and everyone knows batteries are very bad for the environment. If you are going to go this avenue, why not get a completely man-powered reel mower? You would get some serious muscle pushing one of those around for 8-10 hours a day. It really seems like you are not ready for your business to happen. You shouldn't rush it and waste money. Wait and save your money so you can do it right the first time. Otherwise, don't waste your time and don't help to encourage people's thinking that all lawn guys are dumb drunks working for beer money or trying to save up to build that addition onto their mobile home. Act like a professional...get treated like a professional. Act like a guy with a battery powered reel mower...get treated like a scrub. Don't take it personal........I am just looking out for you and the existing LCO's that bust there a$$ everyday being true professionals. Please don't trivialize the green industry.

6. Ecoscape01

Ecoscape01 LawnSite Senior Member

OK......POINT TAKEN....well Im not a kid actually Im 24, college student, military veteran.......i've been around the block. I've done a lot of research into this and I have two mentors who are self-employed themselves but neither are LCO's. One is a general contractor and the other owns a full service handyman company called Weekend Projects so I guess their lack of trade knowledge about lawncare is why they were not skeptical. I never really considered the durability issue. I think the batteries could hang but maybe not the mower. I could buy a 21" with fold up handles and use standard gas equipment. So now what. My buddy told me to go Echo for the weed whacker but what about the mower?

7. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

then the one i gave you in the other thread????????

i already answered this question.... NO

come on man, there is no way that thing will hold up for business use.....and if you arent going to understand this simple fact of this business, that you have to spend a little money to make money, then you are doomed my friend.....

8. lawnpro724

lawnpro724 LawnSite Silver Member

Yeah right! You gotta be kidding. I think you need to find another profession if you think that will work. You would have better luck with Wal Mart special.

9. Ric3077

Ric3077 LawnSite Bronze Member

First of all that mower is selling for almost $400? It should be more like $40...but to echo everyone, get a better mower...

10. echeandia

echeandia LawnSite Bronze Member

How are you going to recharge it? It only runs for an hour and 15 minutes.