1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Does anyone use 3 wheelers instead of ZTR's?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by elamey, Jul 25, 2005.

1. elamey

elamey LawnSite Member

Does anyone like 3 wheelers as opposed to ZTR's?
    I'm wondering because I can buy a low hour used one
    and am wondering what the benefits/detriments are.
    Thank you....
  2. Jpocket

Jpocket LawnSite Silver Member

I have all ztr's but have always wanted a 3 wheeler...They were kind of on ther way out when i was gettining into the business...sorta before my time
  3. gorrell

gorrell LawnSite Senior Member

I had two scag sthms, a scag magunum 3, and an exmark turf ranger. I liked them, but they won't cut enough grass in a day's time for our particular operation. There is nothing out there that will stay on a hillside like a 3 wheeler will.......................Lynn
  4. Kelly's Landscaping

Kelly's Landscaping LawnSite Platinum Member

Bunch of the old timers around here still use them some of them look like they were in a war and run like it too but the guys won't give them up. What sold me on the ZTR with out ever having used a 3 wheeler was the space the old 3 wheeler ate up on the trailers. They are just so long as to make them undesirable. As for engines that was the other point most of them have 19-23 hp for 61 inch decks on the scags I will stick to 27-31 hp for 60 decks on the ZTRs. Yes there are exceptions to that but I am being general here and just going with what I have seen. In 18 years I have only ever seen the old scag diesel 3 wheeler once and that was recently working for the town.
  5. gunner27

gunner27 LawnSite Member
    from ohio

The main advantages of a three wheel rider vs. a ztr are holding a hill, mowing under branches,pines, etc, and the trim side capability. They are still great in certain applications, but ztr's have them beat in overall productivity hands down.
  6. SproulsLawnCare

SproulsLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member
    from IN

I have an old 3 wheeled mower that sets in the garage for the most part. I wouldn't use it on anything that wasn't perfectly flat. Well, may a gentle slope would be alright. My problem with it is that if the slope is too steep, it will tilt down hill. The other thing is that if the lawn isn't flat it scalps, especially if one of the tires drop into a hole or rut.
    Ok, I have a swisher "Big Mow". It is one of the fastest mowers in a 32" cut as long as the conditions are right. If the conditions aren't just right, It's the biggest piece of junk ever made! I don't have any real reason to keep it other than it was given to me, and it would come in real handy in cemeteries or properties with a narrow gate.