1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Does anyone use a pull start WB?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by wglawncare, Mar 5, 2006.

1. wglawncare

wglawncare LawnSite Member

I am looking at purchasing a Toro Proline 13hp 36". The guy says its a doozy to start. I looked at getting a key start put on but it will be like $700. Will this 10 year old machine with only 50 hrs. on it be reliable enough to start on the 1st or 2nd pull not to break my back?

2. lawn_pro

lawn_pro LawnSite Senior Member

The only electric starts we have are riders....all the walk-behinds are pull start, all kawasaki's-start on the first or second pull every time

3. dkeisala

dkeisala LawnSite Senior Member

We have a kawasaki powered 36 Proline purchased new mid-season last year. Can be a touch cold-blooded but really, no problem starting.

4. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Then get a unit with a Kohler 15HP on it I know those aren't a "doozy" to start! I don't understand why they would say a 13HP is hard to start, then that is a PROBLEM!

5. fire1man

fire1man LawnSite Member

i have a 34 inch wb with a 13 hp kaw and it starts in one or two pulls everytime

6. firefightergw

firefightergw LawnSite Gold Member
    from Texas

I've got a Cub-Cadet Commercial G1336 with 13hp Kawasaki. Starts first or second everytime.

7. zim bob the landscaper

zim bob the landscaper LawnSite Bronze Member

ours is hard to start but we always get it started it is a great machine if it only have 50 hrs. on it then u should be good with that machine ours is older than yours and alot more hours.

8. Palmer'sLS

Palmer'sLS LawnSite Senior Member

i have a 48" husky with a 15 kawi, its starts on the first or second start, even when its 20 degrees outside

9. PaulJ

PaulJ LawnSite Bronze Member

The pull starts aren't "hard" but the electric one's sure are convenient.

10. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

I have had a 15hp Kohler Pro Command for nine seasons -- pull start. It works fine, but you need to know when/how to use the choke. It is not too hard to pull; one just needs to be firm and convicted about the pull.