Does anyone use a roller after overseeding?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Lawn-Scapes, Aug 29, 2001.

1. Lawn-Scapes

Lawn-Scapes LawnSite Silver Member

Is it a good idea to roll it or a waste of time?

2. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

If it is a new lawn, I go over it with a roller after I seed, but if it is an aerate and over seed, I do not use the roller.

3. Lawn-Scapes

Lawn-Scapes LawnSite Silver Member

Thanks Eric. I am talking about after aerating and overseeding a lawn. Is it a waste of time?

4. fivestarlawnken

fivestarlawnken LawnSite Senior Member

All rolling does is compact the ground, and I feel you do more damage rolling then anything.The roots need to breathe and this helps it be healthy.Best thing to do is make sure it has water and gets established.

5. AztlanLC

AztlanLC LawnSite Bronze Member

Depends on the size of the lawn, if its about 1/2 acre I don't think it's going to take more than 1 extra hour and if the customer you think it's going to pay for do it, I've done in the past and makes a lot of difference, your grass grows more evenly and faster,
    note that timing it's very important and ground has to be soft in order to achive this.

6. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

Yes, I would say it is a waste of time.

7. andyslawns

andyslawns LawnSite Member

does rolling a yard flatten out the bumps? i have a couple of account that are almost unbearable on the w/bwith sulkys. just wandering if this would help
    :confused:

8. fivestarlawnken

fivestarlawnken LawnSite Senior Member

ANDYSLAWNS,,,,,,There a lot of variables to contend with, on your question.I guess this would depend on your cust. and their needs.Rolling, is best done in my opinion before snow flies.In proper grass management, rolling leads to compaction.Compaction is one of the worst things for a healthy root sysytem.If you do roll, the ground needs to be moist but not super moist.The trouble areas are not from your mower are they?(Repeated pattern on lawn) this will also leave bumps in the turf.:blob1:

9. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

I roll after seeding only if for some reason I think the seed needs a little extra insurance of contact with the soil. Then I only put probably 1/4 or less of water in the roller.

10. jrblawncare

jrblawncare LawnSite Senior Member

I'am with Hoss on this one,a "lite" roll can't hurt,soil seed contact is a must.As far as bumps go....I had real good luck this past spring on my own lawn,in early March after a good rain I rolled,a few weeks later I went over it with a Aerator,after that put down my Pre-M.