Does ANYONE use a Turf Ranger or a Viking?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Doogiegh, Mar 2, 2003.

1. Doogiegh

Doogiegh LawnSite Senior Member

Sure seems to me that when we talk Exmark, everything is Lazer, lazer HP, TT, TTHP, or Metro...

Does anyone use a Turf Tracer? I take it that these are LONG units that take up LOADS of trailer space, without much of any real benefit?

And I guess people that go with a belt driven WB, go with a fixed deck like the Metro, and if you're gonna go hydro, you go for the floating deck.. So there is really no reason for a fixed deck hydro like the Viking???

Just wondering, cause they are like never mentioned.

Gary

2. Tvov

Tvov LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

I have a Metro, for the reasons you stated! I've seen a few Vikings around, but not that many. Turf Tracers are rare, inevitably they were bought from the dealer as last years demo model. Some guys really like them because of how the deck can get under trees/bushes. As you said, though, they are real space hogs on the trailer. The machines work fine, they are just not that common around me.

3. lawnworker

lawnworker LawnSite Senior Member

Are you confusing the Turf Tracer for the Turf Ranger? The Turf Tracer is a walbehind with a floating deck. The Turf Ranger is the mower with the seat with one wheel that takes up alot of trailer space.

4. Doogiegh

Doogiegh LawnSite Senior Member

I said it right in the title, Turf RANGER.

LOTS of people sound like they use the TRACERS or HP models....

But Vikings and Rangers... Don't know anyone so far that does.

Gary

5. edward hedrick

edward hedrick LawnSite Senior Member

Tried a T ranger last year at dealer field day. I have a Scag

STHM or 3 wheel. The Scag seemed to be more resposive.

It's also shorter. the ranger is easier to change mowing height.

If you have things to cut under the ranger is a good choice. Ed

6. edward hedrick

edward hedrick LawnSite Senior Member

I put a Scag STHM and Toro 52 or lesco 52, on trailer. The wb

in the front right. The back the 3 wheel in next to it. Plenty of room left on 6x12 trailer.Ed

7. lawnworker

lawnworker LawnSite Senior Member

The Rangers are used mostly on golf courses or schools where they are not trailered around.

8. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

I believe that schools and parks departments would ike the Turf Ranger, where it doesn't need to be trailered, like lawnworker said. I think the ability to jump curbs with the Ranger is something that is desireable in most municipal operations.

9. Tvov

Tvov LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

lawnworker... whoops, I meant, obviously, the Ranger.