Does anyone use Clip software

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Rene, Mar 15, 2005.

1. Rene

Rene LawnSite Member

does anyone use Clip or do you recomend any other type of software.
    We have 37 clients and growing. thank for any reply . Rene

2. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

Don't we have too many Clip users on here. The majority use Gopher (from my personal observations) and the number of Qxpress users is climbling. I personally use Lawn Monkey (the same makers of Qxpress.......Alocet). They are many to choose from and most all them offer free trial versions. Of the 4 mentioned here, the prices vary. Gopher's basic version runs around $195, I think Qxpress runs around $400 for the basic version, with Lawn Monkey at $849 and Clip over $2,000 (not sure on theirs, but I think this about right). I actually liked Clip, but it was just too much. Another thing to look at is the what you are going to pay for yearly updates. Lawn Monkey cost $300 for yearly updates, with that you get 60 minutes of tech support. I have 3.5 hours currently built up. The big difference between Qxpress and LM is that Qxpress intergrates with Quick Books, where as Lawn Monkey has accounting features built within the program itself.

My best advice is to give them all a try and don't get too discouraged at first. It take a little time to get the hang of them.

3. billc

billc LawnSite Member

I use CLIP (disclaimer: I worked for them for 4 years, and still do some contract stuff with them). I have fewer customers than you do, but making a wise software decision when you're small puts you in a good position to grow.

4. walker-talker

from Midwest

Very well said, that is why I spent the money on a good program now.

5. TotalLawnConcepts

TotalLawnConcepts LawnSite Member

I have never used it, but when I was at the show in Ky last year, I was interested in talking with someone about their software, I found their booth, and went up to talk and realized that No one was home, It was a table full of demo software, but no one to talk to. I figured if they don't have the time to put someone at the show for me to talk to, then I would hate it if I had a problem with their software, afraid they wouldn't have the time. Also on sunday they had a sign on their booth saying they don't work on sunday, Must be nice... I hope no one has a problem with their software on sundays...LOL...

6. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I ordered a demo cd from clip about 3 weeks ago, still nothing in the mail. That is why I choose Qxpress instead. I could try out the demo by downloading it. Also if I wanted to buy it, I didn't have to wait for the mail. Just pay online and download the program. But I do admit, I am still waiting to see what CLIP has to offer.

7. walker-talker

from Midwest

I had a similar expierence a few years ago when I went to the GIE in Nashville.
    I had already demo'd a few programs and really liked LM, but was not sold. I found another company selling scheduling software. I looked through the book of screen shots and so forth and really liked what I saw. The rep comes out to ask me if I need help, I said sure and started to ask him questions. Before I got halfway through my second question, in the most polite manner he could have, he told me that I was small potatoes and could not afford their program. He knew nothing about myself or my company. He also didn't know that I had over $1000 in my pocket and ready to buy. Needless to say that was when I made my decision. I walked around the corner, threw his literature in the trash and walked to the Alocet booth and purchased Lawn Monkey.

My second choice would have probably been Clip....I really liked the layout. My last choice would have been Groundkeeper Pro....I did not like it at all.

8. billc

billc LawnSite Member

The folks at CLIP believe there are some things more important than selling software. Also, there are other sources of support for the CLIP program than the company's tech support dept. - some of these are available on Sundays.

9. new2nash

new2nash LawnSite Member

I use Clip. Have for many years now. It's expensive but you can get into the small version for much less than 2K. I bought mine for $700 back in the day and I think they have a smaller upgradeable version out now for less than that. I've downloaded Jobquest and Gopher and they are fine if you need software to run a small operation with. But Clip is by far the most efficiency-oriented and profit-oriented of the ones I've seen. As you grow it will make you money and integrates with other technologies in a way that will improve your operation. If your goal is to "get big" and run multiple crews, I'd take a lot of time investigating before passing on Clip as it's more of a complete "money making system" for the larger company. And it's hard to change horses in midstream so my advice would be to purchase with your longer range goals in mind. :waving: