Does anyone use MS Excel?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Dashunde, May 13, 2005.

1. Dashunde

Dashunde LawnSite Senior Member

I've been thinking about buying the Gopher software, but at $200 thats a bit steep, let alone the $400 for BASIC Clip.

I'm wondering if anyone has any good templates for Excel that they use for invoicing and general customer info.

Are there other (read:cheaper) customer database programs that work well with lawn care?

2. kory landscaping

kory landscaping LawnSite Member

I use Quickbooks pro, try ebay for older versions. Really cheap. But make sure to get the pro version. You can make invoices, estimates and statements. Also have general ledgers for your accounted for tax time. I bought mind for $89.00 + shipping. It's a 2003 model, but works great.

Wayne
    Kory Landscaping

3. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

Check out this thread http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=91192&highlight=captainding
    and do a search for captainding, he has 3 of theese you can get the download from him, billing , estimate, mileage,. He is a paid firefighter and works 3 day shifts so it may take a few days to get back to you but he will. This may or may not be what you are looking for

4. bp418

bp418 LawnSite Member

I use Excel, it's not great, but gets the job done for what I need, until my business grows, I'm putting every dollar back into my equipment. Good Luck

5. Tvov

Tvov LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

As kory said, try QuickBooks. Easy enough to use, and you'll save more than the cost of it just in lower accountant's fees. I just email my QB info to my accountant when she needs it. Simple, easy, everyone knows how to use QuickBooks.

6. Team Gopher

Team Gopher LawnSite Platinum Member
    from -

Hi Dashunde,

We do offer a payment plan. If you are interested call us (888)606-5150.

7. Tvov

Tvov LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

Of course, QuickBooks is not lawn service / landscaping specific. So for many LCOs, using business-specific software works better for how they are set up. I have friends who use both QuickBooks (for accounting), and another program such as CLIP (I would assume Gopher is similar?) that has routing and other features specific to lawn service.

Oh, and $200 for a business software program actually is not expensive, although it may seem so at first. Also whatever you buy, double check on if they are going to require regular updates. QuickBooks Pro requires a yearly update ($150 +) in order to use the payroll feature. It is actually worth it if you need the features.

8. DaveTucker

DaveTucker LawnSite Member

This type of discussion is similar to someone asking if a Scag or Wright mower is really worth it. I can buy a 22" at Home Depot for $150 why should I pay $3,000 for a commercial mower? The answer to that is obvious. What people don't understand is that your software is much MORE important than your equipment because you are either cutting grass (Equipment is everything) or you are running a business (imformation is everything). If you have the right information it really doesn't matter what equipment you use, you can make money. If you have the wrong or no information, you can use the best equipment in the world and you will still loose money and go under.

For a complete explanation of this, call 800-635-8485 and ask for a demo, you will get a presentation on "How to make 30% profit in your service business". This is real information that will change your thoughts from "cutting grass" to "running a profitable business". Which do you want to do?

9. out4now

out4now LawnSite Bronze Member
    from AZ

Which are yuou looking for? Excel or a database suggestion? You mentioned a cheaper database option so use OpenOffice.org and get a full office suite for free if that is what you need. It has database software and spreadsheet in it already if you're just trying to avoid buying MS Access. Of all the software I've seen so far Gopher still looks to be the best but you're pretty much out of luck if you have a Mac. It does load via Crossover Office into Linux though.