1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Does anyone use the handheld shredder vacs for leave pickup?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by From Dust 'til Lawn, Oct 3, 2008.

1. From Dust 'til Lawn

From Dust 'til Lawn LawnSite Member

I'm a one man show...Do they work?? Say the Stihl 86c or whichever...The plan is to blow the leaves in a pile.....suck/shred and dump in boxed out trailer...are they worth it??? Thanks.
  2. lawnwizards

lawnwizards LawnSite Silver Member

one word. No.
  3. mngrassguy

mngrassguy LawnSite Silver Member

They do work well for VERY small areas like Townhouse door entrances when the wind is blowing leaves around in circles but not for your regular work.
  4. Scagguy

Scagguy LawnSite Bronze Member

What he said.
  5. From Dust 'til Lawn

From Dust 'til Lawn LawnSite Member

so it'll be better option to blow them on a tarp and trailer them that way?????
  6. billslawn89

billslawn89 LawnSite Bronze Member

i agree with ya! i used it ONLY for that reason. had a 9 unit condo complex and alot easier to just suck the leaves up with the hand held then trying to blow the leaves to the lawn, otherwise, i would blow out the landscape beds into the lawn and use the mower to suck up the leaves, alot faster and easier.
  7. david shumaker

david shumaker LawnSite Senior Member

I bought an Echo about a year ago. I've only used it once. It might be useful in some situations, but it's another piece of equipment I wish I hadn't bought.
  8. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

I had one. The bag fills up real quick . The bag also straps on your shoulders, and all the leaf dust comes out all over your upper body. In other words- NO- don't get one.
  9. Kennedy Landscaping

Kennedy Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

This is probably what I'll be using some what during the season, what do you guys think of mounting a handheld on the trailer and using it to suck up leaves near the trailer or off of the tarp or something like this and then it would blow them into the trailer. Just an idea?
  10. lawnwizards

lawnwizards LawnSite Silver Member

its a plastic impeller in those handhelds and one rock or stick and its gonna ruin the machine. just use it to blow the leaves on to a tarp. a whole lot easier.