Does anyone use the "Sand Pull Pro"?

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by Captains Landscape, Mar 22, 2007.

1. Captains Landscape

Captains Landscape LawnSite Senior Member

Paver Pete swore by it. I can't find any pricing on it either. Made by Probst, does it make life any easier?

2. GreenMonster

GreenMonster LawnSite Silver Member
    from NH

I want one, in a bad way. I'm just having a hard time parting with the $1k for it. I think we'll find ourselves with one on the first big patio this year.

3. Henry

Henry LawnSite Senior Member

I bought one a few years ago, great tool. Mine is a 5' model which I don't see in the catalog anymore. I would have no problem spending $1k for the wider, adjustable model. I bought mine from Allied Landscape supply at the mahts show. You can reach them at 215-643-9857.

4. waltero

waltero LawnSite Member

I have one, and I like it. I have the one that adjust from 3' up to 7.5' so it covers larger areas quickly and works on walkways.

They are expensive but are a well built, it will take some time to recoup the money spent but I think it does make life a little easier. I am a big fan of having the right tool for the job. That doesn't mean that any other way of doing it is wrong, I just think that this is the fastest and gives the best results. Hardscaping is called Hardscaping because this work is very hard. Lots of lifting and moving of materials by hand and shovel. I think anything that will increase productivity, speed things up and makes it a little easier is a good thing. I can get you the price later but for the 3' to 7.5' it will be around a grand.

Let me know if you have a specific question on it.

www.pavetech.com is where you will find it.

Walter

5. McKeeLand

McKeeLand LawnSite Senior Member

they seem like a pretty simple tool to make on your own, or pay a fabricator to make for you for half the price pavetech charges. in my opinion they are over priced on a lot of their tools. i am going to attempt to fabricate my own version this season. it may be a little crude but it will work the same.

6. mrusk

mrusk LawnSite Gold Member

I am going to lay the grand out for it later this year. Its all about having the right tools.

So many people will not spend the grand for this tool, but drive to the job site in a 45k truck that sits in the driveway all day.

It does not take long to realize that in this business, to make money YOU NEED TO BE FAST. Yet you also need be good. TO be fast and good you need the right equipment.

7. Henry

Henry LawnSite Senior Member

I doubt you could make a tool that works as well for much less. The first one is always the most expensive. You could weld a piece of 4" angle iron to a pipe, but it wouldn't be as productive. You need to actually use one to see all the benefits.

8. waltero

waltero LawnSite Member

I agree with Henry, once you see the quality of the tool you will realize that you cannot make one that does everything the real one will do.

You have to realize that they manufacture these tools and can only sell to a select few people so they also have to recoup the cost of everything that goes into making one. If you just look at it as an investment in your business and figure the savings in time you can justify it.

I am looking at buying the brickgrips http://www.thebrickgrip.com/info.html and I can also say that they are overpriced, but it will pay for itself in a few jobs. The savings in time and on the back, even if it isn't your back, just imagine if someone gets hurt because of lifting all day. I have know people, including myself who have pulled a muscle and was down for a week. If that guy was to get hurt on the job it will come back to you one way or another and it will cost you more later. Is this tool worth $375.00? All depends on how you look at it. I am also busy enough that I don't have the time for trial and error on tools. Somebody else already did all the work for you, just pay them what they are asking if you think that it is a good tool. You should really look at the quality before you decide to make it yourself, they put a little bit more into the product, it is a quality product. Some things that you have to consider is that this product comes apart for storage, make of aluminum for lighter weight but also engineered to be strong, is adjustable and most importantly is that it is very accurate when you add the wings to extend the size. I doubt you could find all that in a tool that you made at a large savings.

Your money but I would highly suggest that you look at the tool before you decide to make one.

On a side note, I don't think that everything is worth the price that is asked for it. You really have to look at the tool and decide for yourself. Pavetech does carry alot of quality tools and you can see them at Mahts or other seminars.

Try to think long term and look at the savings in labor, time, and quality of job. I think if you see that it will help you it isn't so hard parting with the cash. Just like a larger compactor will help you to get better compaction, larger lifts and complete jobs faster putting more cash back into your pocket. It can be all be done with a smaller compactor but at the cost of time.

Walter

9. McKeeLand

McKeeLand LawnSite Senior Member

Look i wasn't looking for a lecture on cost benefit of buying tools that are more productive. i have been in business for over 10 years and i am aware of the the benefit of more efficient tools and equipment. i have looked at the sand pull at mahts and i am familiar with their construction. in addition to that i have purchased several tools from pave tech and i am aware of their quality. however i have had some of their tools that have broken and where poorly designed. i simply made a point that for the money some of there tools can be made cheaper than they sell them for. i have been fabricating and designing my own tools and equipment since i was a teenager. i fortunately had access to a shop and the equipment to do so and tend to look at things different than most. i agree that some things are too complicated and intricate to make on you own and not worth the time, such as a paver splitter. however i enjoy fabrication and look at it as a hobby to do on my free time. for others its not worth it and for them its better to spend the money. i was raised different, if i could think it up we, my father and i, could build it. that's the way i look at a lot of things, especially if its made of wood or metal. when my father would need a boom extension for his telescoping lifts he could go out and buy one for $4-$5k or build it for $1500-$2000 better than the one you can buy and to his specs. nobodies wrong just that there is more than one way to do things.

10. mrusk

mrusk LawnSite Gold Member

I do think the pavetech tools are over priced. Way over priced. I had dinner with the owner of pave tech a few months ago. I asked him about the prices. He said they were high since all the tools were made in europe and the exchange rate is killing them right now.

I do think alot of these tools could be fabricated much cheaper.