does anyone use the walker dumping system that allows you to dump into a pickup?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ranger520, Oct 1, 2003.

1. ranger520

ranger520 LawnSite Member

I love my walker and wonder how well these things work.

scott

2. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

There was talk in them in some of the Walker Talk magazine....go to their site and do a search on them. I hear they set high and cause the mower to bounce a little more. As far as working.....hear they work great. I know a local LCO that owns 3 Walkers and has them on all three. He catches everything he mows. I have been thinking about offering this as a service. The lifts run around $3,000 per mower. I don't think Walker makes any, just aftermarket companies. I did some commercial bidding and bidded them to collect the grass. I was just going to use my leaf loader set up for those properties.

3. Tonyr

Tonyr LawnSite Bronze Member

The catcher bin lifters are made by Steven's in your country.
    The later ones are a lot better, they work off of an electric switch which just lifts the bin up and a strap connected to the door is automatically pulled which automatically opens the bin.

I think they have about a 5 ft clearance....

I have a walker with one, very fast, great system.

Only thing to watch is not to lift a full bin on uneven ground as the ol' walker isn't a wide stance machine and with 9 busshells of grass lifted high they can tip over quite easy.

I never got caught but I have heard of others around here that have had a walker on it's side.

When the walker finally dies, try looking at the Toro Z355, it now comes with the option of a high lift catcher, and knowing toro as I do it will be a lot better built lifter, and the mower is much, much stronger and more versatile.

I know as I own both machines, no compassison.

Tony,
    Queensland
    Australia

4. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

I got one back in 1996 when I first got my Walker. Took it off after 3 days. Works great on flat ground but the extra higth shifts the weight ratio and you loose 50% of your traction on slopes.

Gene

5. walker-talker

from Midwest

Yes...I have heard this, but here we don't have too many slopes.....KANSAS:)

6. Ax Man

Ax Man LawnSite Senior Member

I didn't try one but after looking at one at a trade show It raises the box about 10 inches, which sets off the balance and gives less clearence under trees.
    I use a ramp from trailer to truck. Fall I dump on the trailer and vac on to the truck.

7. Team Gopher

Team Gopher LawnSite Platinum Member
    from -

I think this is the *.pdf file that Walker Talker mentioned. Click the image for link.

[​IMG]

8. walker-talker

from Midwest

Now there is an idea that I have not thought of. Have you thought of just firing up the leaf loader and vacumnning out of the Walker itself? Or would you consider a waste having to start the vacumn too many times in the day? I am very limited on trailer space.

Matt

9. walker-talker

from Midwest

Gopher, you're a credit to this site. Hell, I might just drop Lawn Monkey and check out what you got that....lol.....laughing, but not kidding.

I had actually checked out the ramp for trailer to truck method because I did not think I could afford a debris loader, but the fabricator estimated around $1000. I found a deal on a Lesco debris loader and ended up spending $1500 and got a debris loader.

MATT

10. Ax Man

Ax Man LawnSite Senior Member

Wow! Ive got to get in to fabrication. I'd guess closer to 300 for a ramp.
    I dump about 4 loads on the trailer then fire up the vac to load the truck. (or before going to the next site)