Does anyone verticut?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Twotoros, Mar 9, 2001.

1. Twotoros

Twotoros LawnSite Senior Member

When I first started lawncare in 1986 there was one co. in town that did verticutting. Everyone else de-thatched . Never seen it since. Looks like it would do a lawn good and be better than slaughtering it with spring tines or a power rake. Any thoughts?

2. jeffyr

jeffyr LawnSite Senior Member

I have used a slice seeder. I rented one to try it out. for overseeding it works better than thatching since their is better soil to seed contact--in thin areas it will look like rows of grass like a corn field since the grooves are cut into the soil. It is the same machine as a thatcher, with the ecxeption of the blades and seed hopper. I think the height adjustment worked like a sort of hinge to raise the height of the machine up without much trouble if something hard was hit. You may be able to retrofit your thatcher with the blades and just overseed with a spreader. I may be looking to do the same since I have the thatcher bar for the Walker.

jeffyr

3. morturf

morturf LawnSite Senior Member
    from midwest

I verticut and i like it. It is a special place that gets it. Remember you will get about 3 time the amount of chaff that you get from a powerrake. It is very aggresive. Hope this helps

4. joshua

joshua LawnSite Bronze Member

what is verticut i have never heard of it?

5. kutnkru

kutnkru LawnSite Silver Member

Gary

I was just reading your post. Im a weee bit confused.

I thought that a Dethatcher had a flail type reel where the blades hung from that reel and then whipped at the ground when operating the machine.

I thought that a Power Rake had a stationary type reel where the blades were welded to that reel and then cut into the ground when operating the machine.

I was also under the impression that Verti-Cutting a lawn was nothing more than power raking with a seed hopper attatched.

Can someone plz help me out if I am not correct, because this is what I was taught about these machines??

Thanks for any light you can shed on this in advance.
    Kris

6. leeslawncare

leeslawncare LawnSite Senior Member

why not core areate?If the soil is proper thatch wouldn't be a problem.Just seed ,fert it an run with it ...It will loook good as long as you keep the weed out .

7. jay

jay LawnSite Member

8. Used the bluebird dethatcher. A violent process on Zoysia but it gets the job done, messy albeit.

I now just use my T-270 with blade attached to cut through the thatch on all my Zoysia lawns. Less vibration.

The bluebird I used worked like a flail machine that swinged the blades on a reel and cut into the thatch and just bellow the soil. No seeder attachment needed as we grow using mostly stolons/plugs.

Hope this helps!

Mahalo Lawnsite!

P.Y.S.

9. kutnkru

kutnkru LawnSite Silver Member

Hey PYS

Just out of curiosity, what does Mahalo mean??
    Thanks for the crunch language lession -LOL

Kris

10. GroundKprs

GroundKprs LawnSite Bronze Member

In today`s market, operators say anything to make a buck, and `Dethatching` and many other industry terms have different meanings to different contractors even in the same market area. Throw in the public useage of these terms for who knows what, and it is no wonder that the lawn industry is not looked on as a professional endeavor.

kutnkru`s problem is that he learned it right from some oldtimer. Your definitions are basically what a sincere turf manager would use, Kris. A little refinement:

Dethatching - uses vertical springs or flails; basically a cosmetic procedure; just fluffs the surface; does not remove any real thatch. (From http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?threadid=1846 :
    `The purpose of dethatching a lawn is to get the customer to part with their money......... It is a great and easy service to sell, but completely unnecessary in most cases.`)

Power raking - cutting with fixed vertical blades, completely through the thatch layer to soil. Only necessary if turf has has long term mismanagement.

Verticutting - a less destructive form of power raking, blades set to ground surface (basically same machine, but a dedicated verticutter needs less power). Used to stimulate stoloniferous grasses to grow better when coming out of a dormancy or stress period.

Slit seeding - seedbox attached to power rake, such that seeds are dropped in line with blades. Slit seeders only came into common use on ornamental turf in late 1980s.

NOTE: italicized terms above have a specific meaning. Until the whole industry, and each individual in the industry, agrees on these meanings, there is no hope of being considered a profession. (And yes, it is difficult to explain to a customer that a ?~dethatcher~? does nothing about thatch. LOL)