Does anyone work with realestate companys

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by tropical breeze, Oct 5, 2009.

1. tropical breeze

tropical breeze LawnSite Member

Is this a good way to get some accounts ? I will have all my paperwork done in the next 2 weeks and was thinking this could land me quite a few accounts am I correct here. I am also going to do a neighborhood soecial where I live. Am I on the right path ?

2. tropical breeze

tropical breeze LawnSite Member

That should have been Special. LOL

3. clean_cut

clean_cut LawnSite Bronze Member

Sounds like a good idea, I'm sure the realestate companies would like their yards/homes to be looking nice for potential buyers.

4. Columbia Care

Columbia Care LawnSite Member

I have done quit a bit of work for Real Estate Agents in the past. They want the property to look prestine and they were not willing to pay top dollar for the work. I have also had a few to wait until the property is sold before I received payment.

5. otis

otis LawnSite Member

my same experience!

6. Kennedy Landscaping

Kennedy Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

I tried it almost a year ago and had no luck. But I may give it another shot for this year.

7. vanncann

vanncann LawnSite Senior Member

Management companies usually mean trouble (I speak from experience), but ask other contractor's in your area to see who is trust worthy and pay on time. I've got one now I get paid on the 10th of every month no questions asked.

8. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Not to be a downer but I would recommend at least 5 years under the belt before
    anyone tries to take on these customers, even then it can be a challenge.

They're not all bad, but even in my 7th and 8th year I've had my hands full,
    as was said, they expect all the bells and whistles for the absolute lowest price,
    not just cheap but cheaper than cheap, basically.

That having been said...
    You could, even before the 5th year, take on a job here or there, from a Realtor.
    That should be all right, to get a taste for it, but just personally speaking I
    wouldn't go taking on a whole slew of Realty stuff just yet.

So take it easy with these guys, they're highly educated and well off, but do it one job at a time.

Hope that helps.

9. LB1234

LB1234 LawnSite Gold Member

I believe you are on the right track...real estate may be the way to go to fill in some time however, in my experience do the work for the attorney's NOT the real estate agents. We work with a real estate attorney and he gives us a lot of property maintenance, cleanups, etc. to perform throughout the year.

Basically when an estate gets listed he calls us up (on behalf of the homeowner) to perform certain services. Get paid good money and timely payments...which is key for performing work where it will be difficult to get money from someone who no longer resides at that address.

10. ZKSLAWN

ZKSLAWN LawnSite Senior Member

i tried that but was told i needed the insurance first so make ysure you do that.. i have to soon