does bagging the grass make a differance on the yard

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by mrredbeard, Jun 13, 2008.

1. mrredbeard

mrredbeard LawnSite Member

i am ordering my new lawn mower and i am thinking about putting a grass catcher on it. i have about 3 acres for my yard. i just bought the house and i have never had a yard before. i am a real newbie, well i bought the house a year and a half ago. i rake when the grass is high , and it is a pain. i usually leave the clippings on the yard but a friend said it would be better if i used a grass catcher. kubota uses a protero pro vac 18 that Holds 14 bushels and it looks pretty nice. also when do i use weed killer. my yard has a lot of weeds. i live it central Pa. i do have a 50 gallon sprayer with a 12 foot boom that i bought thinking it would be good to use for fertilizer. what and when should i use with the sprayer?

2. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

Buy a mulching blade(s) for your mower, your lawn and soils will thank you. :)

3. Jopopsy

Jopopsy LawnSite Member

My 2 cents? 3 acres is a awful lot of grass to catch - where do you plan on dumping it? Also, those bins are going to be heavy and you're still going to have to stop frequently to empty out.

4. Valk

Valk LawnSite Silver Member

Mow frequently enough to NOT have to bag... IFF mowed frequently enough, clippings contribute little/if any to thatch ~> thatch is dead, fibrous roots. Mulch your turf if growth is short enough...side discharge otherwise.

Cut it TALL, let the clippings FALL...(3.5"+)

Bagging 3 acres? You need a funner hobby!

my .02

5. zemzabob

zemzabob LawnSite Senior Member

No bagging

6. All_Toro_4ME

All_Toro_4ME LawnSite Bronze Member

waste of time bagging 3 acres, not to mention added expense. As others have said, where are you going to dump the clippings? landfill? (costs dumping fee) bag them to set out by curb, again more costs. You starve the yard of nutrients when you bag clippings. Put some gator mulching blades on your mower and a block chute and mow often, no shorther then 3 inches at a time.

7. k911lowe

k911lowe LawnSite Senior Member

most of our work is residences around the golf course.we have to bag their.most of our other accounts require it too.if you overseed in the fall,like we do here,bagging leaves less thatch and therefore less material .tiff requires cutting about 2" and thats not conducive to mulching.we due;however,mulch the rye grass during the winter cuts.

8. STIHL GUY

STIHL GUY LawnSite Fanatic
    from CT

mulching is better for the lawn and 3 acres is way to much to have to dump after every time you mow

9. Marcos

Marcos LawnSite Gold Member

Rule of thumb for all mowers, both homeowners and pros :

If you're seeing enough volume of grass being discharged out of your mower to warrant even worrying about whether to bag the clippings or not, then you've either waited too long in between mowings, or have set the blades too low to begin with.

Bagging grass clippings is totally irresponsible in this day and age.
    There is absolutely no excuse for it....other than pure and simple laziness.

Or sometimes...maybe, for the "high end" customer on the estate plots who "insist" on bagging....so that the path of their croquet balls won't be distorted or interrupted in any way !!!
    :laugh::laugh:

NOT !! :rolleyes:

Nope !
    High or low end....still all about laziness !

10. KS_Grasscutter

KS_Grasscutter LawnSite Gold Member

:hammerhead::hammerhead: You obviously have no clue what you are talking about. If we are cutting a good 6" a week off of most fescue lawns in the spring, do we come every 3 days to mow? So do we charge the customer for like 10 cuts per month, instead of 4? Are they gonna pay $250, instead of $100? And side-discharging or mulching 6" of new growth a week is NOT happening.

I know my high end customers love having the leaves mowed up every week, plus not having clippings in the bed and clumps all over the lawn. They love it to the point that they would call any one of the other LCOs in this town that according to you have no clue what they are doing and are irresponsible and do bag the clippings. There is ONE lco here that doesn't bag at all, and everyone else bags dang near everything. And FWIW, the ones that bag are the ones I see doing ALL the high end stuff here.