1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Does being an LCO jeopordize your health insurance coverage?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by zz4guy, Aug 28, 2007.

1. zz4guy

zz4guy LawnSite Senior Member

I am a part time LCO and work another job/career as an engineer. I mainly do the lawn mowing for fun and some extra money. Bring in about $10k/yr.

I'm worried that if the company I work for finds out I am doing some relatively dangerous things outside of work (dangerous compared to sitting in a cube all day), they will not cover me at all. Or at least not cover me when I hurt myself mowing.

I'm surprised this issue hasn't come up before. It seems there are a lot of LCOs who work two jobs for the health insurance benefits. Or their spouse does.

It doesnt seem like a company would want to insure some guy to go make money for himself in a dangerous job.

Any thoughts on this?
  2. ExcaliburLawnCare

ExcaliburLawnCare LawnSite Member
    from MI

I never even thought about this...I have to look into it. It seems, however, that as long as you pay your premium you should be covered. At what point does a said lawn become too much for them to accept as normal weekly activity?
  3. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

I work at my my fathers engineering company and I am not sure about the insurance either. I am guessing as long as you pay your premium you should be fine. I will check into this.
  4. newz7151

newz7151 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Tejas

What's the name of the company you work for? I'd be willing to call them up and ask them for you.
  5. LushGreenLawn

LushGreenLawn LawnSite Silver Member

When I had health insurance through my full time job, and mowed part time, I scratched my cornea while mowing grass.

My health insurance still covered it, and I told them it happened while mowing a customers lawn.

I recent;y signed up with health insurance through the chamber of commerce, and my rate is no different based on the fact that I mow grass than if I had any other type of business
  6. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

I think you answered you own question.....Bobby(lawnsite expert no longer posting) once said everybody cheats a little bit and everybody on lawn site jumped on him, but this one wasn't discussed.
  7. lawnscapesLLC

lawnscapesLLC LawnSite Member

It all depends on the insurance carrier you have. I have had a few different carriers and and since I do alot of rock climbing, ice climbing, snowboarding, mountain biking etc I always ask if this stuff is covered and it always is, lawn mowing is as safe as sitting in a cube compared to my other hobbies, lol.