Does bigger equipment help grow a business?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by DAVEY PROS, Jun 14, 2006.

DAVEY PROS LawnSite Member

Just to make it clear from the start - I'm not just begining in this type of business.

My brother and I have been cutting grass since we were 11. We have gone from one lawnmower in the back of my dad's tourus to business cards, hats, polos, a website/email, employees, and much more. We can now handle up to 25 or 30 full time clients - and thats a real accomplishment for us since we go to school. Best of all we have learned to do a PROFESSIONAL. quality job - sometimes better than the pros. in our neighborhood - and we didn't say that - our clients did.

BUT here's my question. Since we have only really cut residential yards we have not needed a mid sized w/b. Now that we are going to start driving soon and getting A LOT more yards - espeacially commercial properties - how much will bigger equipment help us out timewise? What mowers do you recommend? Anything else from those who manage a lot of accounts?

We know how to stay organized and do a professional job but we want quality equipment. We were looking at a walker model mw. We were also looking at a California Trimmer reel mower.

Basically we just need some help deciding a few things...anything would be appreciated.

-C & M
  2. fiveoboy01

fiveoboy01 LawnSite Silver Member

For a mid size WB, look at Exmark's turf tracer or turf tracer hp. The ECS controls are a joy to use.

I also hear a lot of positive things about Hustler's walk behinds though I haven't personally used one.
  3. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Get a Toro with the T-bar and at least a 4-foot deck (44" - 52") and you won't have any more questions of this nature.
    Once you get that, you can tackle yards up to an acre with ease, and beyond as well thou my 48" does drag after an acre.
  4. 6'7 330

6'7 330 LawnSite Bronze Member

Unless you're mowing stamp sized south side of chicago lawns,and the turf areas you mow are generally what is the common on many surburban lawns, the walk-behinds will be much more productive,especially the hydro's.

As far as brands go,the new Toro walk behinds, with the TurboForce deck, Exmark, Lesco, Scag are all very good mowers. Demo a couple, and get some focus on which one cuts best for you're cutting conditions and turf type. After having been in the landscaping and maintenance business for a few years,I have learned many times a mower is only as good as the dealer who sells it to you. Remember to include dealer support on your list of priorities when choosing a mower.
  5. Liquidfast

Liquidfast LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ontario

I don't care what anyone says......the better and bigger your equipment, the better and bigger your biz will be. Just my 2 cents and 4 dollars.
  6. Brianslawn

Brianslawn LawnSite Silver Member

if you going to do commercial... go with the biggest, fastest, ztr you can find an look forward to loosing money on it.

DAVEY PROS LawnSite Member

has anyone demoed a walker mw?
  8. mike lane lawn care

mike lane lawn care LawnSite Bronze Member

the bigger the better, works for many occasions.:drinkup:

SDNCLAWNCARE LawnSite Member

Equipment will allow you to tackle more yards in less time but cost you more money. So you need to look at the future goals of your company. Bigger, Faster, equipment will cost more, but save you money in the long run if you plan on growing.

SDNC Lawn & Landscape
  10. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Big mowers for large acreage and small mowers for little lawns. The exception is if you are personally going to cut stuff the rest of your life you want to get the nicest and biggest riding mower that will fit on the property. That seems to be the wisdom on this site.