1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Does color scheme play a part in branding?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Trinity Lawn Care LLC, Jan 31, 2006.

1. Trinity Lawn Care  LLC

Trinity Lawn Care LLC LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

I have been thinking about changing my color scheme. My main color is Burgundy. I choose this because it would be a different color then what everyone else uses. Set myself apart. However, I have been a little concerned with the fact that two of the bigger companies around here use red as their main color. I do not want people to see my trucks, employees etc. and say there is XYZ LCO again instead of me. At first I thought that I may have been being a little silly, but my wife seems to agree with my reasoning. What do you folks think?
  2. vanguard

vanguard LawnSite Member

The Brinkman Group, one of the largest, if not the largest landscape maintenance company in the country comes to mind for me.the Brown & tan color scheme that they use seems real odd for a "Green Industry" leader :confused:

Just look at mower manufactures, Red,Yellow,Green,Brown,Orange,Blue etc......:dizzy:

Not sure anyone can give you a rock solid answer! Imo a well designed logo is probably more important.

Just my 2 cents
  3. tcls83

tcls83 LawnSite Member

I believe in standing out. Down the road I think I'd have black trucks with black trailers. The lettering would be silver and green. Black looks good with scag and exmark mowers in my opinion, and very few use black around here. It looks good with chrome also. And yes, I know black is harder to keep clean, but I'll just wash it a little more often because it looks good when clean. Right now I have a white truck-no lettering and it also looks good when clean, people think its new when it is really a 97. Shirts would be grey.

I don't want to disappear in the landscape of green and red trucks, also. I think standing out and color does play a part in customer's minds. I believe you got to be the standout like the Corvette, instead of the beige Toyota Camry. Same goes for the quality of work you do.
  4. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

it all is part of name recognition, you want to be as unique as possible so that then they see it they know its you. think about it, when you drive down the road and you see a big sign in the sky that is red with a gold arch on it you know exactly what establishment that is.

How long have you been in business? how much is it going to cost you to rebrand yourself? .. signs, shirts, cards, website, trucks, trailers, logos, etc.
  5. KeystoneLawn&Landscaping

KeystoneLawn&Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

I think logo design and colors are both important. I have a red truck and trailer. My color scheme is a highlighter yellow box outlined in highlighter green with red type inside. Jumps off the truck and trailer....If I knew how to add a pic to this reply:blush: I would have put it here!
  6. DiscoveryLawn

DiscoveryLawn LawnSite Senior Member

I have found chosing a color scheme to make you stand out from the "pack" to be one of the most important decissions I have made. There is no doubt who I am when my truck is seen from half a mile (or more) away.

Discovery van cut out tight.JPG
  7. Green-Pro

Green-Pro LawnSite Bronze Member

Well two major players in the shipping industry that come to mind are UPS and Fed Ex, I guarantee you when I just mentioned these two corporate names the first thing that comes to mind for everybody is the color Brown for UPS and colors Orange and Blue for Fed Ex, IMO anybody that denies this as the first image that comes to mind is not being honest. DHL is another up and coming shipping company anybody know their color?

Yes color can be used as branding to answer your question, and I don't believe you have to necessarily be a corporate giant to tie your business into that.
  8. kc2006

kc2006 LawnSite Silver Member

I recall talking to someone from UPS and they said they stress customer satisfaction since brown is not a user friendly color. They also use the color in all their advertising "The big brown truck" "what can brown do for you"

And Green-Pro, answer is yellow with red lettering :D
  9. Green-Pro

Green-Pro LawnSite Bronze Member

Atta boy Kurt :waving: I knew someone would come up with DHL's colors. I understand UPS probably stress's customer satisfaction, heck I would venture to say most if not all companies do, big & small. Customer satisfaction is not the first image I get when thinking of UPS though, and I'm sure they thought color through enough to know the effects of color and steps to take in order to use the color brown to their advantage, just as you mentioned tyeing it into a slogan, etc.
  10. kc2006

kc2006 LawnSite Silver Member

Oh I forgot primer! All the dhl vans around here have primer on them somewhere! Their drivers must get in alot of fender benders :D