Does cutting short = thicker lawn

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by dfor, Sep 23, 2003.

1. dfor

dfor LawnSite Senior Member

I'm only talking about cutting short in the fall. Does it help thicken up a lawn at all? I'm thinking it might help some. Maybe its just an old wives tale.

2. Ax Man

Ax Man LawnSite Senior Member

It means when you go and never come back.
    Sure makes the leaves blow over it faster. Not only that, gives a little more time in the spring before you are behind again.

3. ElephantNest

ElephantNest LawnSite Bronze Member
    from La.

??? What??

4. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I will second that...WHAT????

5. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

Just an old wives tale.
    Taller grass keeps the weeds down,taller grass produces more sugars which produces more roots, which keeps the lawn healthier and fuller.

6. DoubleCutter

DoubleCutter LawnSite Member

Your never, even when grass is dormant,(leaf clean ups etc) supposed to cut grass short. Short to me is like 2.5 inches and below. I cut at 3 and up.(cool season grasses)
    I think what Axman means is yeah scalp your lawns now in the fall, because they aint gonna come in too quick in the spring, so you'll have plenty of time to get stuff done before the lawn starts growing..... I think
    It aint really an old wives tale......cutting short puts the grass at risk of disease, drys out the moisture in the soil quicker, stresses the grass(when you cut down near the aypical meristem), excess thatch..and Number one in my book, LOOKS LIKE SHIZIT
    This obviously doesnt apply to all grass varietys
    Bill

7. NCSULandscaper

NCSULandscaper Banned

It only kills the grass in this area.

8. GroundKprs

GroundKprs LawnSite Bronze Member

Mowing short does give a denser turf. Short leaves = more light => more individual shoots can survive. Don't see anything much denser than a golf green mowed at ½" or less. You probably do get more weeds to successfully germinate in shorter turf, but then they are easier to see and hit with a herbicide.

Mowing height recommendations for most cool season grasses are in the range of 1" to 2.5". (KBG is 1.5"-2.5"; TTTF is 2.5-3.0, but some cultivars can be lower. Annual blue is 0.12"-1.25".)

The shorter the mowing height, the more manicured the turf looks to most people. But how many 62" decks (even 36"decks) can look good at 2", LOL? Except on a new or engineered turf.

9. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

If I were to cut any of our lawns at 1-2.5 inches the lawns would look terrible.Nothing but brown at that height.
    Golf greens are bentgrass,and extensively manicured and maintained.....Lawns are not.
    Like any plant the more surface area of leaves the more nutrients the plant can produce.A one inch long blade of grass cannot produce the same as a three inch long blade of grass.

10. Rustic Goat

Rustic Goat LawnSite Bronze Member

Do a search on 'scalping', you'll find all your real answers there.
    The way the grass reacts to a short cut BTW depends on the type of grass and soil conditions, for this particular aspect, one rule does not apply to all.:)