1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Does cutting wet grass hurt it?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lasher66, Mar 16, 2003.

1. lasher66

lasher66 LawnSite Senior Member

I noticed I get a lot of customers in the spring time not wanting me to cut their grass because it rained earlier that day. They claim it hurts the grass if it is not dry when it is cut. To me, it seems like as long as you bag it or dont let the grass clump up to much on the lawn, it should be ok. I just wanted to find out the truth about cutting grass if it is wet. Thanks for any help.

2. fblandscape

fblandscape Banned

If I remember correctly, you CAN cut grass when it's wet. However you have to watch out that you don't tear up the lawn when you do your turns, or stop / speed up. The thing I don't realy remember is whether or not there was an issue about diseases being passed around like that. :confused:
  3. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping LawnSite Silver Member

its not bad for it. just dont let clumps sit on the lawn afterwards like you stated. and dont make tear marks when you turn. if its sopping wet, you can compact and rut the lawn over time if you mow it when its always wet.
  4. ladibugg

ladibugg LawnSite Member

Does cutting your hair wet hurt it?

I have read some posts that folks schedule their weeks around the potential of rain. " It did't rain, but I took the day off in case it does." Whatever!

Did'nt your mother ever make you go out and play in the rain? Ever kick around in the mud puddles? Don't you golf in the rain? Ever just go for a walk in the rain?

Cutting in the rain is not about the grass, it's about little junior not getting wet.

I schedule my weeks around a good beer buzz in the morning. Some people are just to uptight.

Patty Bixel Ladybug Landscape

p.s. yes things can get a little slippery!
  5. paponte

paponte LawnSite Silver Member

NO it can't hurt it.The only thing you can do is damage it by sliding, or not exaggerating your turns. I have cut many of lawns in the teaming rain. :cool:
  6. NCSULandscaper

NCSULandscaper Banned

You can cut grass when its wet but its not recommended. When wet grass travels from yard to yard the potential for diseases increases. Personally i wait until the grass is dry to cut all my lawns.
  7. No it doesn't hurt the grass.

You run a biz, can't play wait till it's doesn't rain.
  8. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

No Tell Them Thats when The father Of the house Use To cut With a 3.5 Hp Push Mower with Dull Blades. You have a commercial Mower Made For wet Grass. Just bag It if your going to clump.

img_0429 resized.jpg
  9. rvsuper

rvsuper Senior Member

John that is the coolest pic I've ever seen..are those your lazers?

I will be mowing my greens and fairways in the morning this spring and summer. They have always done it here and it will continue...it doesn't hurt the grass in anyway as long as you have the blades sharp and a good mower.