Does everybody offer Fungicides as an add-on?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by GreenHor7, Aug 28, 2007.

1. GreenHor7

GreenHor7 LawnSite Member

I was wondering if offering fungicides as an add on service is worth it or should you just let nature run its course. The main reason being is because of equipment. I was looking at purchasing a peice of equipment that sprays at low volume which is not good for fungicides and i am trying to figure out if it is worth purchasing a spraying unit otherwise.

2. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

We keep a list of which customers that want fungicide treatments. It's a pain, but some lawns have the same diseases ocurring every year (mainly Summer Patch). I don't know of any turf disease that can be "cured"...only minimized. Usually it requires repeated treatments that begin before the disease is active. This usually adds up to $100 to $300 per year in most of our cases. But it's like putting a bandage over the root problem. I don't like treating turf diseases whatsoever. We usually begin treatments when we start spraying for apple scab on crabapple. My two cents worth.

3. mdlwn1

mdlwn1 LawnSite Silver Member

Tough question....it's worth it if you know what your doing...know how to sell it.....and know how to read a customer. Most homeowners think that if they pay for it.....they won't have any fungus all year. An aplication of 3336G in late july to mid august is usually the more cost effective way to go. I have to say...MOST people don't really know how to most effectivly use the stuff. IE..timing betwenn fert apps...NOT overferting to begin with...laying it down before or after the humidity sets in....How long does the homeowner expect the result to last. As for the sprayer...I've been using a 200gal lesco for all of my career for weed and crab apps. There is no faster or more thorough way.

4. GreenHor7

GreenHor7 LawnSite Member

Thanks for the feed back. I am leaning more to getting a tank sprayer then a pg because i feel with the pg you still will have to back pack spray around beds since the mix will be very hot and you do not want any chem to get on any plants.

5. ant

ant LawnSite Silver Member

we do on a as needed basis. at that point its at the curative rate which = more money per app. because of the cost.. like American lawn we too have lawn that we spray for summer patch 3x per yr. you are in the north east like me so i spray for summer patch may 15-june 15- july 15

6. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

I try to avoid fungus sprays--do it if customer wants it.

7. Pilgrims' Pride

Pilgrims' Pride LawnSite Senior Member
    from MA.

The way I look at it fungicides are a bandaid for a cut that wont heal.
    Besides that many labels suggest reapplying at whatever regular intervals while conditions persist which tends to be cost prohibitive for many folfs.
    I try to educate the customer on proper cultural practices and leave it up to them.

8. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

Yep, and many fungicide labels call for treating every 10 - 14 days........OUCH! To me, it's a no win situation.:dizzy:

9. Neal Wolbert

Neal Wolbert LawnSite Senior Member

Asking your customers to wait it out might be the best choice in some cases, i.e., when a change in the weather will lead to recovery. But to not consider getting proficient on disease ID and the conditions that lead to infection and learning how to treat successfully is a mistake in my opinion. Of course that only applies if you want to provide the most complete service possible. If you do your homework and treat properly with the most effective fungicides when there is a demonstrated need, you will be providing a vital service. I acquaint using fungicide with taking medicine when you are sick. If medicine will hasten the return to health, why not use it! Fungicide application equipment can be as inexpensive as a good back with proper nozzles. It will take a bit of study but it will be certainly worth it, both in quality of your work and your income level.

Neal