Does everyone think this is OK for starting out?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by BBN, Jul 19, 2006.

1. BBN

BBN LawnSite Member

I have $1,000 to start with. IF I decided to go with this with your advice this would be my mower for just a couple years. Like I said possibly 3-4 postage stamps this year and hope to take about 8-10 next year if it all works out and if I'm totally into it after next year I'll then decide to get a nice commercial ztr. Would this be OK for just a couple years for a part time setup? Also what would be a good trimmer to get if I were willing to spend $150-300? Thanks

walk behind

2. jazak

jazak LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

I would double the amount of accounts you want to have. My son has 10 and this is his second year but the year before he put out no advertisements and only had 2. He also is only covering 6 streets this year so if he wanted to push his mower farther he could easily have 30+ accounts. I would shoot for 15-25, 8-10 accounts is peanuts no matter if you are doing it on the side or full time. For a good trimmer look at Stihl or Redmax.

BTW you will also need a blower either handheld or backpack but either way you will need one.

3. BBN

BBN LawnSite Member

you think even with this mower I could easily take on 15-20 residential part time?

4. PMLAWN

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

What mower do you have

5. jazak

from NJ

Easy. My son just uses a 21" non propelled mower and redmax bc2600 trimmer until he get his hydro wb next year. Onc you get 20 you will have enough and be making enough $$$$ to go get a wb.

PMLAWN he's got a 26" self-propelled. Click on walk behind on his 1st post

6. PMLAWN

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

Sorry I did not realize that was a link

I would worry about the power of that mower. 26" is a big blade to swing and if you get into wet or thick grass you may not like the result. Any 21" I think would work, But I would stay with self propelled.

Jazak, you are a slave driver making your kid push a mower:laugh:

7. BBN

BBN LawnSite Member

I don't have that mower yet. I was thinking about pulling the trigger and buy it now but wanted opinions first. So a self propelled 21" would be fine until I save for an upgrade? Thanks

8. jazak

from NJ

It doesn't matter he'll be getting a new 36" hydro wb next year so he will learn apprecaite it more. :laugh: Plus all the houses are real close to each other and he doesn't mind because all the accounts are bi-weekly except for 2 so he doesn't have to go mow all the accounts every week.

Oh yeah I mentoined it to him not forced him. :laugh:

9. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

I would stay away from the hardware store equipment. Go to a dealer, and get a toro, honda, john deere, snapper etc. This will hep you out because if you ever have any problems, you will have a dealer you can count on and that is very important! JMO

10. BBN

BBN LawnSite Member

Thanks J&R. Since I saw this post this morning I went shopping around for prices and saw a nice 22" self propelled Toro and may go with that. Best of all this will still be useful when I upgrade to a commercial mower.