Does everyone use Mulch Kits on Mowers?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by gl1200a, Apr 13, 2004.

1. gl1200a

gl1200a LawnSite Senior Member

I was just practicing on mmine and neighbors yard with my lawn tractor I just bought and don't like the results. Long clippings and I leave wet grass clippings 'glued' to the cement in my tracks that don't come up unless broomed. I never had this when I mowed with a hand mower with mulch kit that I always use.

Do you use mulch kits on mowers commercially?

Thank you.

2. KL Squared

KL Squared LawnSite Member

I use a mulch kit on every commercial mower that I have. This way I do not have long clippings and do not have a problem with grass clipping disposal. The local county extention office states that the use of mulching mowers returns 40% of your lawn's nitrogen needs to the soil.

3. bugspit

bugspit LawnSite Senior Member

Do a search...I'm wondering the same thing, plenty of info here.

4. specialtylc

specialtylc LawnSite Bronze Member

Mulching works great if the grass is DRY,SHORT,NOT TO THICK and you are NOT GOING TOO FAST. I dont use a mulch kit on anything.

5. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

Cool season grass is full of moisture in the spring. As stated above, cool season lawn mulching has to be used on short dry grass at a slow speed.
    Another thing is that it is the heat that accellerates decomposition of clippings. Up north doesn't usually qualify for heat until June or so.
    I have mulch kits for my Toro 44 and my Walker 52 but the only thing they are used for (and are excellent for) is mulching the fall leaves. But that is many profitable months away.

Do yourself a favor and put the kit away until fall. Good Luck.

6. Clark Landscaping

Clark Landscaping LawnSite Member

I run my mulch kit on my mower with no problems after about June 15th, run it all summer and then switch back from mulching in the fall. I run a 52" Toro with a Trac Vac spring and fall and then mulch all summer. I haven't found I have to go slower, I don't try to set any speed records anyway, just go steady. I don't like the look of the mulched leaves in the fall so I just Trac Vac them up.

7. ElephantNest

ElephantNest LawnSite Bronze Member
    from La.

I run mulch kits on both mowers, 60" and 36". Every so often, the leaves are a bit too much, but it's still faster for me to mulch, then do a quick blow with the 7001 than it is to bag. As for the nitrogen, I have heard percentages as high as 60% returned from mulching.

I bought a bagger for my 36" this past winter, and have yet to even use it.

8. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

Lawn tractor....hmm.....I believe there is a nice section for homeowners where you can get your question answered.

9. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Somehow I suspect that you left something out of this. Mulching has no advantage over discharging in regards to nitrogen needs. Mulching and discharging together do have the advantage over bagging.

I discharge almost exclusively and in my 9 years of paying attention to other cutters I have never seen a single one of them mulch.

I suspect it has a lot to do with local conditions more than anything else.

10. BobR

BobR LawnSite Senior Member

Exmark Z 52" HP - Got the kit for free (promotion) tried it, took it off now the kit resides in a corner of my work shop gathering dust.
    Side discharge with an OCDC works for me..

BobR