Does everyone use workers comp?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Collin, Jan 20, 2006.

1. Collin

Collin LawnSite Member

I am a one man operation pt. I am bringing one man also on pt should I get workers comp? I am doing alot of commercial prop.

2. CLARK LAWN

CLARK LAWN LawnSite Silver Member

absolutly. its a percentage of what you pay him. whether doing commercial or residental you should have it

3. Gatewayuser

Gatewayuser LawnSite Bronze Member

Yes if you have anyone working with you HAVE TO BY LAW and a lot of commercial props make you have it also. Good luck this year!:waving:

4. sildoc

sildoc LawnSite Silver Member

Like said above most commercial props require it. If your worker gets hurt you are liable for all medical costs. It is just not worth not having it.

5. lawn_pro

lawn_pro LawnSite Senior Member

yes, you should have workmans comp-for two part(?) time employees..

6. drsogr

drsogr LawnSite Bronze Member

Its not required in all states by law. In kansas you can have up to 20,000 in payroll without paying workmans comp. The cheapest I have been able to find it in kansas is $800. This makes it pretty hard to justify needing it.

7. Collin

Collin LawnSite Member

Where have you found the besst and cheapest?

8. YardPro

YardPro LawnSite Gold Member

collin.....
    in NC wrokman's comp is only required if you have three or more FULL TIME EMPLOYEES....

i do suggest carrying it, as it will reduce your liability if someone gets hurt.

9. Collin

Collin LawnSite Member

Thanks for all of your help.

10. little green guy

little green guy LawnSite Senior Member

you'r not going to find the "best" or "cheapest" because it's all based off a percentage of your payroll. The way it works, at least in New Jersey is your agent will put you in for comp and a carrier will be assigned to you by the state.
    There are different rates for different catagories such as landscape, lawn
    miant, snow plowing ect... then at the end of you coverage year they will audit you and if you are over your estimated payroll for the year they bill you for the extra.