Does fairly steep hills hurt the hydro's?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mhussey, Sep 22, 2006.

1. mhussey

mhussey LawnSite Senior Member

I was talking with my brother today and his friend has a church yard that I may be able to pick up, however the yard has a long and steep bank. I actually mowed this lawn the other day and just went up the bank vertically and back down it and then go back up it and it did fine. My brothers friend who does maintain the lawn said to my brother that when going up a hill like that will ruin the hydro's. I didn't know how to take that comment because I had never heard of that. The mower does bog a little going up the hill but nothing major. It was mainly due to the height of the grass on the hill and the degree of the slope. Maybe he is trying to scare me off from trying to bid on it so he can keep it! Note that he has a residential Simplicity ZTR cutting commercially. So do you guys think that going up and down this hill will ruin my hydro pumps/motor?

2. dcondon

dcondon LawnSite Silver Member

You would not believe the banks that I mow everyday. You will be just fine and it will not hurt the hydros

3. Groomer

Groomer LawnSite Bronze Member

My hydro's walk up and down hills all day long, no problem.

4. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

You'll be fine as long as the hydro tank doesn't let the pumps run out of fluid. If the tank is full you shouldn't have any problems.

5. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

I am noticing that some hydro have coolers on them....I would think that if you pull the unit really hard all day on hills at 100F...probably not good?

6. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

do you mean cooling fans...our Ferris WB's alll have them

7. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

I asked a mechanic and the owner of the shop that I use. Hydros are a sealed system, unless something gets in when the cap is off it should stay clean but, if something does get in and block the filter the system could starve itself. I was told thermal breakdown of the fluid and metal fatigue are the reasons hydros fail. So, I guess we need a warning system for high temps huh? Hey, I have one on my truck.

8. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

The ones I seen don't have fans just the heat exchanger that uses engine air flow. I guess that does suggest these unit do run a little hot.

9. Scotts' Yard Care

Scotts' Yard Care LawnSite Senior Member

What you might do is operate the hydros as you usually do, under the toughest conditions you encounter and then take a temperature reading to see what the oil temp is. Making a wild guess I would think 250 degrees or less and you would be okay. Anyone care to correct that?

10. mhussey

mhussey LawnSite Senior Member

I appricate all the help guy's. I was thinking that his statement was untrue, but I really didn't know for sure so why not ask it here. Again thanks for all the replies.