1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Does fertilizer "Go Bad"?

Discussion in 'Fertilizer Application' started by Schweinhund, Mar 10, 2008.

1. Schweinhund

Schweinhund LawnSite Member

A friend gave me a 50lb. bag of Scott's Turf Builder for free. It was a ripped open bag and would not close completey, but I kept it in my shed so it stayed dry. I applied it to my St. Augustine lawn about 2 weeks ago, watered as recommended, but everything is still brownish yellow and nasty looking.

My question is - since it was exposed to air, does this reduce its potency in any way? Its humid around here, so I'm pretty sure a little moisture got in there. Does this matter and if so, should I refertilize?

2. gsxr1100

gsxr1100 LawnSite Member
    from mobile

With the RH so high, is it a block of fert?

3. poolboy

poolboy LawnSite Silver Member
    from earth

4. Whitey4

Whitey4 LawnSite Silver Member

Fert has a great shelf life.... unless it got wet enough to turn into bricks, it should be fine. The Scotts straight fert is actually a pretty good fertilizer, just apply it at half the recommended rate. The combo products are a problem.... cut the rate, and the AI is not sufficient to control either creabgrass, weeds, etc. The Scotts fert is good... just too much N in it.