does grass height affect growth?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jcp_3, Mar 23, 2008.

1. jcp_3

jcp_3 LawnSite Member

I have a commercial account that pays monthly. It is a cemetery in the southeast Lousiana. I have a Wright stander-sport with the quick adjustable height. Does the lenght I cut the grass affect growth. If so, is there an optimum height to cut grass for minimal maintenance? What would be the best setting (in.) to keep it ? I'm realitively new to this. thanks for any info!
  2. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I don't care how you cut it, once a month ain't gonna do unless it's in that kind of shape.
    I mean I'm really not sure, if it is in that kind of shape, if that's an account I'd want...
    Even as tough as things are economically and even for a first year that might be stretching things just a bit far.

But to answer the question, yes, how high or low you cut it does affect it, the growth, yes, it does.
    As for an optimal setting, a one-size fits all is optimal from my end of things, try 3 inches and leave it alone.
    Sounds dumb but if they want cheap then you can't afford to be changing things around either, blam, 3 inches it is done.
  3. Frue

Frue LawnSite Bronze Member

Well if you cut at a inch and it grows 3 inches in a week now you have 4 inches. You cut it at 3 inches and it grows 3 inches then it is 6 inches.

To answer your question as best I understand it is cut it at 3 inches it is better for the grass and mower. Now if you can only cut it 1nc a month dont take it at alllllllll......
  4. Eclipse

Eclipse LawnSite Bronze Member

He said it pays monthly, I guess I did not take that as he is only cutting it once per month. Agreed if you are only able to cut it once per month I would not want it unless it pays very, very well for that once/month cut. If it dries up in the summer that might not be too bad but during the wetter months of the year it would be much more of a challenge.
  5. Whitey4

Whitey4 LawnSite Silver Member

What kind of turf is it? Is it in a drought area? Do you know what fertilization program they use?
  6. jcp_3

jcp_3 LawnSite Member

Sorry, I was not clear. The job pays monthly, but it is at my discretion on how often i go, as long as its kept up nicely. So, the less often I go, the more benificial it is to me. Wheather it"s 2,3, or 4 times a month its still the same payment. In the spring thru fall I usually go every 10 days. And thats cutting it close in the dead of summer. I have my grass height set at 1.5 in.
  7. jcp_3

jcp_3 LawnSite Member

its very humid here. so no drying up
  8. jcp_3

jcp_3 LawnSite Member

Should I keep it set at 1.5 in.?????
  9. Eclipse

Eclipse LawnSite Bronze Member

I do not know about summer grasses. I am surprised to hear that humidity is enough to keep things green. Here in MI being very close to lake Michigan we have humidty in the 80's and 90's percent all summer long yet the cool season grasses will dry up to nothing if here is no rain. Interesting.
  10. cpel2004

cpel2004 LawnSite Bronze Member

It depends on alot of other factors, we cut all of our properties at 3.5 to 4.5 inches depending on what type of grass, irrigation, fertilization schedule and seasonal conditions. It will also depends on the overall condition of the grass. Many LCO's in my area are like Topsites. They set the height and Blam, they roll with it. What type of grass is it that you are cutting a 1.5 inches?