Does hardscaping ruin your personal life?

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by Steiner, Jul 13, 2011.

1. Steiner

Steiner LawnSite Senior Member

Working on our biggest project to date. Walls, fire pit, lighting, plants, privacy fence, the whole nine yards.

Anyway we usually do plantings, design, mulch, trimming, basic landscaping stuff.

But man the last few weeks; I am coming home sore, tired, and grumpy. I want to go to bed shortly after I get home and I think my girlfriend is getting annoyed.

Up at 6, road by 7, pulling block all day, cutting with demo saw, hot sun, customers calling, scheduling deliveries, my butt is dragging by 4.

I am behind on all my paperwork, my laundry is backing up, and my friends are wondering who I am....

Does this happen to you guys?

Tell me your best "Hardscaping ruined my personal life story."

Then the vets can chime in with strategies to not get so tired.

2. Jb3NH

Jb3NH LawnSite Member

haha yeah.

long story short, upgraded to girlfriend 2.0

she loves to cook and eases me out of sleep mode gently.

issue resolved

3. iowa

iowa LawnSite Senior Member
    from NW IA

Delegation.
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. DVS Hardscaper

DVS Hardscaper LawnSite Fanatic

yep! I have a stck of receipts that need entered in QB, and 3 months of bank statements that need reconciled! Weekends is family time (moto-cross (I've been getting my kid into racing) tractor pulls, drag strip, time on the river, last weekend was Monster Truck Jam at M&T Stadium). So I slowly enter this stuff in during the week.

Designs?? Ummm......after doing designs for the last 15 years - designs become the last thing you wanna do.

Grumpy?? I'm only grumpy when we don't have work. Which hasn't been the case this year :)

Social Life? We try to go out every other Sat night. The guy down the road cuts my grass. During the week I go to his house to pay him (he's also a friend). He has buddies there pitching horse shoes. He offers me a beer. "Nope, no beer, I have work to do".

I like our demo work. No designs. I can price and sell the work from my house. And no heavy lifting!

5. DVS Hardscaper

DVS Hardscaper LawnSite Fanatic

delegation sure sounds really cool! But it's not that simple! If you're able to delegate, then that means you have many other responsibilities you're tending too!

You get back what you put in.

Theres a landscaper in the area, successful, lives in a HUGE, NICE home seperate from his business, been in business at least 31 years. He probably has at least 25 employees. And I see him out watering flowers at his maintenance sites in the evenings and weekends, I see him marking out for new commercial installs on weekends.

Just like farming, except we take our work on the road. It becomes a way of life.

6. Karmascapes

Karmascapes LawnSite Member
    from NLR, AR

My wife used to be the one to call at 2pm and ask what time i'd be home, that drove me nuts... we finally had a come to jesus meeting and now i don't hear from her at all during the day unless its an emergency or about a job.

7. Marek

Marek LawnSite Bronze Member

DVS where do your kids race at ? What class do they run ? My boys raced for years with mama and d7

8. Murphy's Law

Murphy's Law LawnSite Member
    from NH

My mother called me at the end of July last year saying we haven't seen you since Easter! She was right but only my wife and my dogs saw me for about 3 months. I do make up for it in the winter. My social life has an inverse relationship to the weather!

9. OutdoorCreations

OutdoorCreations LawnSite Member

On the bigger jobs we have done in the past I am a nervous grumpy SOB. The weather is what makes me the most frustrated. I am still trying to learn how to deal with this. I am young and still trying to get my business established, so it is all stressful now that I think about it...

10. eastcoastjessee

eastcoastjessee LawnSite Member

Not so much just the hardscaping but landscaping in general. At work by 5:30 or 6, work til 6 everyday. Sometimes later, had a meeting last week that didn't end til 9:30 but there were a few cold ones involved. Had one this week that ended at 8:30. I'm younger and makes it hard to have fun and do the things i enjoy. My GF is understanding to a point but is growing tired of it.

I do find myself asking the question, is it worth it?