Does HP really matter

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by cpel2004, Jan 24, 2007.

1. cpel2004

cpel2004 LawnSite Bronze Member

This may sound like a stupid question but can someone please explain the direct benefits of having more engine horse power. I live in S. FL where most of my properties have St. Augustine grass and are a total of 5000 sq ft thats including the house. I see alot of manufactures are introducing 30 to 35 hp even 50 hp diesel engine. Is this just good manufacturer marketing or is the hp really needed. I currently run a Scag 52TT w a 23hp Kaw., Sentar 52, 23hp, Grasshopper 60 with a 25hp and a Scag 36 with a 13 hp Kohler they seem to do a good job. Why on earth would I need anything more. Im curious to hear your thoughts.

2. dekalb lawn man

dekalb lawn man LawnSite Member

The biggest benifit to more horse power IMO is when your working around hills. The engine dosn't have to work as hard if there is more power therfor saving engine life and keeping up good rpm's for a clean cut.

3. rotgg

rotgg LawnSite Member

u should not need more power unless your manufacturer changes there deck or blade design

ps not many hills in south fl

4. tjsquickcuts

tjsquickcuts LawnSite Senior Member
    from Atlanta

The heavier the Machine, the more power it takes to move it, thus increasing the need for more horsepower....Horsepower is basically how many pounds moved per minute.....

5. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

A 60" deck with 27 hp is just enough for my job and I would like much more power. Some jobs are every two weeks and even on weekly jobs it will bog down a mower in the type grass and weed mix we have here. I run most of the major brands and you would have to get in the 30's to have enough to run 10 mph on a lot of my jobs. The Super Z 60"/27 hp was fairly under powered, my Lazer with the same deck engine combo has just enough for the tougher jobs. I think it takes more in certain kinds of grass. Fescue is very thick and lush in the spring. I think this grass would slow a good sized diesel down. But most of my accounts a 25 would get the job done but slower. Of course lawns are measured in acres not square ft here. Southern grasses are easier to cut for the most part.

I did run a 23 hp 60" for a year and it was very slow on some of the lawns but not others. Exmark
    My first mower was a 52" 20 hp Grasshopper and it would bog down to a stop in the Spring.

6. cpel2004

Have any of you guys operated the 50hp dixie, if so how was the performance?

7. tjsquickcuts

from Atlanta

Thats the thing, they arent race cars....thats why Lawn mowers, trucks, etc..all sell on horse power......and not torque.....Lawn Mowers with larger engines (more horsepower) are the best. The amount of use and abuse these mowers take requires a lot of power. I would spend the extra few dollars and get the power needed to do the job. You will never regret it. The more horsepower you have means less strain on the engine and the faster it will cut. It will give you many more hours of life.

8. cpel2004

Have any of you guys operated the 50hp dixie, if so how was the performance?

9. cpel2004

What about JD a well respected and successful company, they have very few engine choices. I know theres more torque in Diesel engine vs gas, however look at the walker mowers, exmark now only offers a 25 hp diesel, why do you think that is. Many manufactures offer 31hp to 33hp diesels. What do you think Exmark and Walker choose to go with smaller engines?

10. tjsquickcuts

from Atlanta

Never operated a Dixie, but I currently have a Scag Turg Tiger, 27hp, 61in on demo right now from my dealer.....He is trying to convenice me to Purchase one, plus a Cougar they have in storage, and a 52 Hydro walk behind.....They are giving me good trade in value for my 2 Scag WB I currently have now....I have feel in love with the Turf Tiger, will have to go out and acquire more lawns that I can use it on....I really need that Cougar, I thought they stop making them, but my dealer told me it was ordered for another LCO from the Scag warehouse, but the other LCO decided to go with the Walker Instead....SO I guess I kinda lucked up...I am looking at about $20k with other attachments that I need to finishing revamping my equipment.....Looking to have everything brand new on day one....