1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Does insurance cover a broken window?

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by Full throttle lawn care, Apr 20, 2006.

1. Full throttle lawn care

Full throttle lawn care LawnSite Member

Dang it I broke my clients bedroom window today and it's ols so I'm not sure the pane can be replaced so I may have to buy a new window. Will my insurance cover something like this? Or am I shi$ out of luck.:hammerhead:
  2. Badgerz

Badgerz LawnSite Member

Isn't that what liabilty insurance is for?
  3. Ray&Christine

Ray&Christine LawnSite Member

I'm sure your insurance will cover it but I would price it out and see how much it cost to fix the damage first. By the time you pay your deductable and risk paying higher insurance premiums because of the of your claim, you may be better off just paying for the damage out of your pocket.
  4. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

"the window was broke, when i got there." THAT, is my story, and, i'm sticking to it
  5. cklands

cklands LawnSite Senior Member
    from MA

Your liablity should cover it, but as stated before I would check to see how much it would cost you to fix it. Why make your rates go up for a couple of bucks. :hammerhead:
  6. Jay Ray

Jay Ray LawnSite Fanatic

The one I broke cost 473. Liability covered it (theoretically), but the deductible was 500, so no use troubling the insurance company.
  7. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I wouldn't bother the insco with anything under 5k myself, even one claim can make your rates go so high that you may no longer be able to carry insurance.
  8. Trinity Lawn Care  LLC

Trinity Lawn Care LLC LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

It wouldn't be worth using your insurance for something like that is my opinion. You will pay more for your deductible then you would to replace it usually. JMO.
  9. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

I have never had to use my Insurance, but the agent/owner promised me the rate would not go up if I had to. I don't know if I believe him lol. I mean really, how many times will a regular ol grass-cutter do over 500$--$1000 damage?
  10. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

That's actually not a bad idea, either... Consider for a moment that I'm not responsible for damage incurred to objects in the yard (sprinkler risers, toys left out, etc, etc), why should I be responsible for a broken window? The problem isn't that I want to go around breaking stuff and not being responsible, the problem I've ran into before is folks tried to get me to pay for stuff that I could not remember breaking for one, did not see myself break for another <- Translation: Who really broke it? Because some people are fast to blame the lawnguy for anything and everything broken, that is the problem.

But I would feel guilty if I saw myself break it, I would certainly feel more than inclined to not only inform the customer right away but to call someone out there and have them fix it, and pay them cash out of pocket or better yet, business credit card.

It shouldn't cost more than a couple hundred bucks, sorry to hear it but it's a drop in the bucket, don't worry about the Insurance on this one but you did tell the customer about it already, right? (you should).