1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Does Iron in a Fertilizer Prevent Stripes???

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Mower For Less, Aug 1, 2005.

1. Mower For Less

Mower For Less LawnSite Senior Member

Not sure if this is a fert question or a mowing question... its a little of both. In my own backyard I started conducting a fertilizer experiment between Lebabnon Turf w/MESA (no iron) and Lesco's blend w/Iron. Difference in cost to me on a 50lb. bag is less than $1, so I decided to see which I liked better on a head to head trial.

They have been on for 3 weeks now, and both greened about the same, The Lesco appears a hair darker green, but nothing that would draw your attention. When I mow, I notice the half of the yard with the Lebanon Turf product seems to stripe a little better (more contrast between stripes) compared to the Lesco half. I am wondering if this can be attributed to the Iron in the Lesco fert. Anybody have any ideas?

Other than that, performace on the 2 fert's in nearly neck and neck, so I'm going for the long term results now and see which one peters out first.

2. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

The "hair darker green" can probably be attributed to the Iron content in the Lesco fert.

But as far as stripes, I don't know.
    I think what you should check is the blade texture between the two sides. I'm guessing you'll find the Lesco blades to be stiffer, harder, more coarse, ect... and the Lebanon side to be softer. My guess is that this is because the Lesco product is releasing more nutrients at a faster rate than the Lebanon due to the MESA.
  3. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

The darker shade of green is definately attributed to iron being added for sure. As for stripes, you should see a more noticeable stripe on the grass with the iron in it.
  4. vipermanz

vipermanz LawnSite Bronze Member

that is what i was thinking, it would make a big contrast difference
  5. Mower For Less

Mower For Less LawnSite Senior Member

I understand the iron is responsible for the darker green, thats why I mentioned it was there. But just the opposite is happening on the stripes, they are more noticeable on the 'non-iron' side. Has anybody else ever experimented with this, or am I doing something new?

6. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Did you do the texture test I suggested?
  7. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

That's exactly along the thoughts that I had. the potasium gives a much better stand of grass than that without. It seems a bit early to see results from potassium, but a straight nitrogen or low K will be much more wimpier and layover more, hence, giving it more vivid stripes. This does NOT mean that it is healthier grass...as a matter of fact, it is the contrary. Keep doing it like that with the two different analysis, and seee what happens. you will see a bigger difference in the late fall, then in the spring of next year, the difference will be like night and day. The Lesco side will be twice as thick and stand up nice and strong. That is just what you see. The REAL difference will be in what is actually taking place within the plants. The vascular aspect of the whole plant of the Lesco will be much healthier, and less susceptible to drought and disease.
  8. quiet

quiet LawnSite Senior Member

Those are awfully strong assertions without knowing the analysis of either fertilizer or whether either has a MOP or SOP based potassium source. And what is the percentage of MESA in the Lebanon product, and what is the percentage of SCU vs. urea in the Lesco product?

Lots more info needed before making those statements.
  9. paponte

paponte LawnSite Silver Member

Yeah, I would have to agree that more information is needed. Are both ferts the exact same? What percent is slow release in each product, water soluable N? What percent Iron? Next would be same watering, and sun exposure?
  10. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Assertion is the exact word. I'm going by what I experience around here as far as what some people use compared to the Lesco with higher K analysis. This was just based on that presumption.