1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

does it cost more now?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bobbygedd, Dec 5, 2002.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

ok, getting snowed on here, and we still have alot of leaf cleaning to do, and more calls coming in every day. our regular clients are all complete, now we are getting into the one timers, and new callers from our add. we usually charge by the hour, unless we can be sure that an accurate estimate can be given. phone call i got today:" hi, this is mr. x, i expect u will be coming after the snow to clean the property, the only concern i have, is u r charging us hourly. now that the leaves are very wet, will u lower your hourly rate, to compensate for the extra time it will take?". im thinking no way. and, for future callers, i think the price should go up. what do u guys think? i know a guy who drives a cab in town. during bad weather, the rates are 1.5, to 2 times the normal rate, because it takes longer and driving conditions are bad. also, they take advantage of people because in bad weather, the folks that walk, usually will pay for a cab, no matter what. now, since most guys around here packed it in by now, and the client is having a hard time getting anyone to even call them back, shouldnt the prices go up? what do u think?
  2. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

I am. All calls now that its got colder and will be one time jobs I will be on the higher end. At this point, they have waited until all the leaves are down which means its harder on my equipment. I do live by my motto " I can go broke from the house".
  3. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

why is this in "off topic forum"? u know nobody ever reads this
  4. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

charles will read it!;)

5. MacLawnCo

MacLawnCo LawnSite Bronze Member

I would say that you would be fine to raies the rates some. Limited supply increses demand which can inturn be used to get higher rates.
  6. bruces

bruces LawnSite Senior Member

If you are charging by the hour, you should be ok at the same rates.

If the job is now higher because the leaves are wet, etc., then you will have more time and generate more revenue.

Cheaper now, no way. I am still getting calls but since it is getting cold I am tending to quote higer prices.

If I am going to be freezing my rear off doing one time jobs, I want to get paid for it.
  7. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

Rats lol lost another one
  8. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

I'm not sure why it's in the OT forum. Did you accidentially post it here? I will move it over to the commercial forum for you.

GEO - I liked your response. :D
  9. Art Stubbs handy 58

Art Stubbs handy 58 LawnSite Member

good to do when its this late in the season:D

Just finished my last one today wish the phone was ringing here...
  10. Lawn Sharks

Lawn Sharks LawnSite Senior Member

Yes, it will cost more and remind them that if they had been a regular customer they would have been done already.

I did have a question regarding the cab driver. Most hacks are limited by law on what they can charge. Is that not the case in your area. Hate to see your friend get busted for bumping his rates during bad weather.