Does it make any difference to you...

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by irrig8r, Mar 18, 2009.

?

Does it matter where your sprinklers are made?

Poll closed Apr 17, 2009.
  1. Yes. American-made = American jobs.

3 vote(s)
    21.4%
  2. No. Whatever they have to do to keep the price down.

1 vote(s)
    7.1%
  3. Hey, it's a Global Economy now. Get used to it.

10 vote(s)
    71.4%
  1. irrig8r

irrig8r LawnSite Platinum Member

... where your sprinklers are manufactured?

Doing some head replacements yesterday. Originals were HIT brand. Bad flow-by after a few years in the ground...

Anyway, happened to look at a flush cap on an 1806 and it said Made In China... then looked at my 1806 SAMs and they read "Assembled In Mexico" (where I know a lot of Rain Bird stuff hasbeen put together in over the border maquiladoras for a while), while my 1804s read "Made In USA".

The China label was a new one to me....

2. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Aren't all the commonplace controllers made in China by now?

3. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

Im guessing yes. Im a proc c , ICC guy . But I would gladly pay $20 more if it was american made. At least hunter valves , rotors and sprayers ( ps ) are still us made.
    I try to buy as much US made stuff as possible.

This can help

http://www.madeinusa.org/

4. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

As much as I would like it to all be US made, realistically it is not going to happen in any industry. Try finding a computer that's made here, assembled here, with all US made chips and processors. Not going to happen. I want a GOOD product, regardless of where it is made. If I am given the choice of a poorly made US product that is 25%-50% cheaper than a Chinese made product that has always been reliable and is a quality product, I will go with the foreign product.

My Nissan was made in either Mississippi or Tennessee. I forget which. Plenty of American workers there.

5. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

Quality and reliability are the only things that matter to me .... I could care less where it is manufactured as long as those two items are met.

6. bobw

bobw LawnSite Senior Member

I'm in Canada... no irrigation stuff gets manufactured here... just send me quality materials at good prices.. .I'm not the least bit fussy at all what country its coming from.

7. sprinklerchris

sprinklerchris LawnSite Senior Member
    from Georgia

Checked at my local distributor....

The Hunter ASV, PGV and ICV valves are made in Mexico. The SRV in China.

The Pro-Spray in Mexico, SRS in China, PS spray in US. All controllers, remotes in China.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2009
  8. I HATE CHINA. Won't make any bones about it. I try to buy USA or at least something other than China. I'd pay 10% more if that is what it took but it seems in many cases Chinese goods are the only option.

I voted it's a global economy deal with it.

9. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

Yes Im bummed about controllers being made there. My last trip out to San Marcos I commented on that.
    Only Hunter valves I use are hpv,s . They dont even make the srv anymore , not that I ever used it , it was a POS.
    Only Hunter sprayers I use are ps,s , otherwise its Mexican made 1800,s.

10. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

Anyone see Ted Koppels show on China? The Chinese save their money untill they can afford American made products as they know Chinease made stuff is garbage.