Does it Matter

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Bevsbedscapes, Nov 17, 2007.

1. Bevsbedscapes

Bevsbedscapes LawnSite Member

Ok first off don't laugh..... We have a 48in Scag Super Z It only has about 900 hours on it. We just put on new engine on it, do to my mother not being to smart and not keeping up and the oil but that is another story. Well we put a new B&S 16hp VanGuard back on it Model Number 303777 and we also picked up and Super Z Bagger Model # GC-SSZ-6kh that our dealer had left in it's stock from back in the late 90's....Well the Vangaurd Muffler will not let the bagger fit on, I have called around and everyone is like this is the muffler that belongs to that engine so this is what need to be used. Well it just will not work that way and I need to know if it really matters what kind of muffler I use..We are in the peak of leaf season here in Columbus and I want to get this thing on!!!!
  2. Uranus

Uranus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mass

I used to run a dixie with a car muffler on it. Made that machine nice and quiet. You can cut off the muffler and move it if you have to. Have someone weld on some new pipes to connect the motor to the muffler. Your just going to have to make some new mounts for it but it can be moved.
  3. Breezmeister

Breezmeister LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from South Jersey

Back in the day I had to mount a generator in a box van. It had a little Honda GX 160 on it. I took a 3/8 x 2" flat bar and cut it down to match the flange on the exhaust pipe, driller it to fit the mounting point on the engine and drilled a hole in the center so I could tap it to 3/4 pipe thread. Took 3/4 black pipe and piped it out of the box and put one of the big B&S muffler on it, the ones that look like a mushroom.
    Go to a motor cycle shop and see what they can suggest. They might be able to make something up for you
    ericg likes this.
  4. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

As the Ole saying goes "A picture is worth a thousand words" ........
  5. tomo

tomo LawnSite Senior Member

hello, with any modifications there r pros and cons .
    A picture is most useful in this situation as others have mentioned .
    The muffler can be repositioned and a experienced exhaust shop would be able to help u .Preferably a shop that is also a manufacturer will be of most benefit and will most definitely have all the required components . As the exhaust modification is a ""one off"" remember it needs to be of high quality as u have no off the shelf parts . Repair to these components will always mean down time .

6. Bevsbedscapes

Thanks tomo, Sounds good, I am going to run out in the morning before we do any work to see what I/they can come up with!!
  7. Bevsbedscapes

Thanks to all that tried to help but the Mower and Bagger are now up at our Dealer and it is also giving them He!!, It was determined that yes that bagger goes to that mower (which we have known along) But it belongs on that mower with a Kohler engine and not a B&S Vangaurd, This mower was sold with the option of a Kohler or B&S and we have the B&S model...And seeing as they sold it to us with them thinking it fit fine they are taking care of the problem and redoing the exhaust.
  8. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Good deal, Better them worry about than you !