Does John Deere make Mulch Blades for 7 Iron decks?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Tonyr, Nov 19, 2005.

1. Tonyr

Tonyr LawnSite Bronze Member

Curious to know if J.D makes a mulch blade for their 7 Iron decks?

I know they make a mulch kit, but can't find info on the blades they recommend, if anyone has a pic, or knows where I can see what the deere blades look like it will be greatly appreciated.

I'm looking for something like the Exmark wavey blade to try on my rear discharge deck, solid sail that guides the clippings inward....

2. Grassman6

Grassman6 LawnSite Member

TCU 18990 is the part number for a Deere 60" side discharge mulch blade on the 7 Iron deck. It looks exactly like a standard mulching blade only thicker, of course. I use it for mulching leaves but don't try to cut tall fescue at 10 MPH with them. Solid but low sail doesn't lift as well.

3. Tonyr

Thanks mate!

do you know what the length cut tip to cut tip?

any pics of these by chance?

4. stumper1620

stumper1620 LawnSite Bronze Member

never mind

5. Tonyr

??

yeah I know....sounds weird wanting to try a mulch blade on a rear discharge deck, but the standard deere highlift isn't the best blade for this deck, so willing to go to extremes to get a better finish.

6. jpmako

jpmako LawnSite Senior Member

Hey Tony,

Glad to hear that your okay mate!
    As far as a mulch blade for a 7 iron deck I could really only recommend one of two options. The standard J.D. Mulch blade wich in my opinion will not work without the mulch kit. Or you could try Gators. if you do try Gators make sure that you get Magnums as they are a heavier blade that I think will better suit your needs for cutting excess growth.
    Hope all is well.

Jason

7. Tonyr

Thanks Jason,

wish deere would put pics on their website! grrrrrr.

gator magnums.....hopeless trying to get them here, last set I bought to test on my toro took 6 months to get here, the importer is hopeless.

dealer isn't showing me any interest in trying blades.....and cust. service from deere here are about as keen to advise as a door knob lol.

deere.....one bad experience!

wait till I post the last in the series of buck passing and lies from this mob, unbelievable.....they are stalling on a fix as warrantee runs out in 8 months, already stalled 4.....this mob are not playing nice at all.

anyway, I'll post all of that later, but for now I just gotta find some different blades.

A lower sail mulch type blade should drop clippings neater on my RD deck, in theory, high sail tend to windrow.

8. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Tony,

I thought you and I talked about this?
    Maybe I'm loosing it?

Dunno, but if blades for the 7-Iron deck will work, then order the OEM wavy mulchers.
    Personally, I think you are gonna get exactly what you are looking for if you do.
    That is if the blade design is any good.
    They should also free up some used power.

If this don't work out, let me know and we will see about getting you a set of the Lesco wavy mulchers if they will fit and are formed properly.

Lesco specs:
    Lenght = 21"
    Center hole = 3/4" or .756 ID

These blades are also 'formed' as in beyond the wavy design.
    Don't have the spec on the step down from the center hole to the cutting edge though.

9. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

10. Tonyr

Hi Envy,

the blades in the pics, flat, non wavey, tapered sail, that is like the toro recycle blades i ran on my toro, full time, great all purpose, this I think would be good on my rear discharge deck.

This is what I'm chasing, I think the deere blade TCU 18990 is like this going by the spec drawing.

I am not concerned with mulching, my aim is to redirect the clippings inward before despersal, is is a clipping displacement game I'm playing lol.

wavey blades like Raptors....I currently have a set on, clippings are obviously finer, but despersal isn't great, where I know the flat mulch blade type may not mulch as good but that is a good thing as the raptors bog down too easily in heavy work.

I can buy raptors easy here, I'm using ones I had from my toro....1/2'' shorter.

I can buy an exmark wavey blade with solid foil like pictured in your pics here, 1/2'' shorter than deere stock.

So, going by the drawing on the deere website their mulch blade looks like the ones you shown, not wavey.......I doubt a wavy blade will help me, I'm just after the tapered sail/foil.....so I emailed dealer to order me a set to see.

They have a blade at $62 EACH but can't tell me why it is priced so high, maybe it's the only bloody blade that works on this deck lol, lol.

I'll let you know how I go for interest sake....I haven't given up on this deck yet! just the company behind it haaaaa haaaa