does junk mail work

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Nitroman, Feb 8, 2004.

1. Nitroman

Nitroman LawnSite Member
    from indiana

I just payed over $1,000 to mail out coupons to 10,000 homes threw valpak, the first weeks of March and April. Am I waisting my money? :confused:

2. CNYScapes

CNYScapes LawnSite Senior Member

Good question I was thinking about val-pak too, Im interested in anybodys experience with them.

3. charlies

charlies LawnSite Senior Member
    from earth

i have never tried advertising with them. but i can say that i have never seen the inside of one. i throw them straight in the trash.

4. Nitroman

Nitroman LawnSite Member
    from indiana

I'll tell you one thing, do not go threw mighty mailer! I did some homework and found that their mailings do not go out when they say the do. Val-pack is the best for your buck from what i've gathered.

P.S. it's my first day on lawnsite and IIIIIII like it. Keep it up.

5. Team Gopher

Team Gopher LawnSite Platinum Member
    from -

Hi 60"dixie,

Here are two quotes from this post.

"Val Pac is the most worthless effort we've done, for the reason given. TOO MANY ads in one place. Nobody looks through 100 ads to find yours."

"spent a little over $10,000 in valpak one season. Got about $2000 worth of new business from it."

6. James Cormier

James Cormier LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Ma

yes, you wasted your money, did it many years ago and wasted alot of money,

BTW... if your the company sending it ,we like to call it direct mail, junk mail if your recieving it

7. J Hisch

J Hisch LawnSite Senior Member

Direct mail works well. If the piece is right and you are willing to mail 3-4 time them follow up with phone sales.

8. justmjc

justmjc LawnSite Senior Member

It depends on what your selling and what mood I'm in when I get the pack. If I want to see what's inside, I'll snoop for pizza and resturant coupons. I've NEVER used a service from on of these. Sorry about it, but send out the flyers or put inserts into a paper.

9. Kelly's Landscaping

Kelly's Landscaping LawnSite Platinum Member

Thanks Gopher for confirming what I already believed I do direct mail but when we do it its either neighbor hoods we are interested we look up names and address though some sort of reverse white pages my partner uses. Or we buy our list and we pick whatÂ’s going to be on it either way we have a very selective list then we use out letter head its on a fancy linen paper same with the envelope we have our introduction letter and our business card. Costs us with the stamp around 60-65 cents per letter so why the hell would we do that easy one mailing not four and 5-10 percent hit rate were sending out 4500 I think you can figure out what those numbers will fetch. Needless to say were buying another 5 mowers this year.

10. slapshotmike24

slapshotmike24 LawnSite Member

I just put out $400 for val-pack for this week. I have only receieved one call so far, but it just sent out today. I figure one E.P. Henry paver or big mulch job should cover the val-pack cost. We'll see what happens. :confused: