1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Does lime effect the N?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by cenlo, May 2, 2005.

1. cenlo

cenlo LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ontario

I have heard that lime releases nitrogen into the air? Is it effected by the slow release as well as quick release?

Thanks, Don
  2. Tadams

Tadams LawnSite Senior Member

Lime does 2 things to the soil 1- raises the pH of the soil so the grass can absorb the nutrients easier and 2- adds magnesium and calcium to the soil which are also nutrients. I have never heard of anything releasing the N into the air (but I could be wrong but that aint how it is supposed to work).
  3. Grandview

Grandview LawnSite Gold Member
    from WI

Nitrogen is released to the air when the soil is saturated. NO3 to N2.
  4. Guthrie&Co

Guthrie&Co LawnSite Senior Member
    from nc

once it rains the nitrogen is gone anyway.
  5. Neal Wolbert

Neal Wolbert LawnSite Senior Member

Nitrogen can volitize (move as a gas into the environment) during the conversion from ammoniacal nitrogen to nitrite N then to nitrate N (Nh4 to No2 to No3). The process is called nitrification. Enzymes convert nitrogen into ammonia and carbon dioxide that easily move into the environment. 3/4" or so of rain or irrigation will stop volatization by moving the N into the soil. Less than that (light watering, showers, dew) can encourage even more volatization by increasing the enzyme activity close to the surface. After N is moved into the soil my water, it is further broken down by microbes where both the ammoniacal and nitrate forms are readily taken up by plants. Nitrate nitrogen, if it is not utilized by plants, can leach through soils because it is an anion and does not bind to the soil. N can also be lost by denitrification in saturated soils. As bacteria strip the soil compounds of oxygen molecules for respiration, N is lost in the upward movement of nitrogen in gas form into the environment. These soils are anaerobic (lacking ozygen). So too much water can be a problem also. (Kind of like Goldilocks and the poridge...juuuust right...not too much, not too little.) Urea can be treated to minimize those problems without too much trouble or expense. I'll dig around a bit and see if I can find some more info. on lime and pH relating to N loss. Neal
  6. gl1200a

gl1200a LawnSite Senior Member

See...this is why I mow and don't get into fertilization. I just tried to digest what Neal just wrote above, but had too stop for fear that my head would explode. I'm just not worthy.
  7. Neal Wolbert

Neal Wolbert LawnSite Senior Member

My head swims too that's why I write it down so I can mull it over and over until it penetrates a little. People a lot smarter than me fed me this info a long time ago. I'm not that bright, just old. Neal