does lots of rain do to trees what it does to lawns?

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by mcwlandscaping, May 14, 2006.

1. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

We know that after rain, the lawn grows faster, my question is, does it do the same thing to trees and shrubs? With such a deep amount of saturation, would this cause fully matured lets say, sugar maples, to have a growth spurt greater than usual at this time of year?

2. lawncare18

lawncare18 LawnSite Senior Member

Deff helps the trees and schrubs, I have seen sme trees that have been late blomers cause of drought strees....

3. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

YEAH suddenly there are low-hanging and overhanging branches and leaves all in my face everywhere grrrr....

Make sure to carry some lopers with you in the truck, I find when a branch keeps getting in my face, I grab the lopers, snip it off and dispose, no charge because it's a mutual favor both to me and the customer, blam!

4. grassmanvt

grassmanvt LawnSite Senior Member

Going back to my days in school, I do remember either reading or hearing that if you look at the tree rings (cut tree obviously) the width of the bands often indicates the growing conditions of the year. Larger ring, more water, better growing, smaller ring, would indicate a drier year or some particular stress encountered by the tree that year. I don't however, think you will notice any discerable differance just looking at the tree, unless it had been under severe drought conditions.

5. lawncare18

grassmanvt: how is business this year.. keeping busy? hope all is going well up there, rain must be seting you back, looks like its ben wet up there

6. grassmanvt

grassmanvt LawnSite Senior Member

Business is pretty busy. Rain hasn't been a factor till' Fri afternoon so I've actually been able to stay on schedule. I feel bad for the people a little southeast of here though, almost 10 inches of rain for them since friday. I'm actually starting the year with one other vary competent full timer and what seems to be a decent part timer. Usually I go through five to get one so this has made life a bit easier so far. Actually got the mowing done in five days this week, even with a few breakdowns and other interruptions. Hoping I can train the part timer a little more and send the two off a couple days a week so I can concentrate on a few other things I've got up my sleeve. How's Syracuse faired from this storm?

7. lawncare18

Grassmanvt: Glad to see you got some good help this year since I know youve strugled the past couple. Syracuse has faired fine, got rain wich we deff needed but all in all prob just an inch or two. It was very dry before this rain so well take the rain. IN my eyes rain meens more work and money, without rain nothing will grow grassman. Being a golf course man the rain makes my job a lot less stressfull to. HOw many acount you up to this year grassman.