does my ad look good?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by lawnwizards, Mar 8, 2004.

1. lawnwizards

lawnwizards LawnSite Silver Member

Just placed an ad in my local paper, it goes like this

LawnCare
    Early Bird Special
    Free Estimates
    then my number.

My early bird special is 1/2 off the 5th cut. figured i'd do it this way to ensure i'd get the 5th cut and not get bounced if i gave 1/2 off the first cut. whats your opinions on this? thanks

lawnwizards

2. metro-hp_48

metro-hp_48 LawnSite Senior Member
    from TN

Price it where you can afford to give them the 5th cut for FREE. That word seems to grab their attention for some reason...guess it's human nature to look for a deal. (even though the other 4 cuts more than make up the diff.)
    Some "lures" that companies use are amazing....but seem to catch alot of reople. Most people must think something could actually be free. (1 penny for a mobile phone after 1 year contract comes to mind, and first week free at a "Rent-A-Center"......now THAT's a deal
    .......and it only cost a mere 600% of the item's MSRP)

3. lawnwizards

well metro-hp-48,
    i'm only giving 1/2 off the 5th cut.

do you think i should go ahead and give it free?

4. metro-hp_48

from TN

Whatever seems like the right thing for you, and your business. Can all add up the same, or in your favor. All in how you price the other four. ALOT of ways to juggle the numbers. Some give price breaks to customers for additional jobs the customer gets them, in that area, ect.
    Just follow your heart, be honest and fair, do as good of a job as you can, and there is no way you won't be a winner. I always give the customers a little bit extra, and treat them like they are my favorites. They will always be loyal, and word of mouth, to me, is the most important. I've never thought about advertisments. No flyers, no ads, never needed any. (like the OLD "Body On Tap" shampoo commercial...... "they tell two people, and they tell two people, and so on, and so on, and so on" (hate to show my age, but..............) None of my customers would ever change. I invite anybody to try to get a cusotmer from me. If the customer did want someone else, I wouldn't want that customer........(but it will never happen, they know a good thing when they see it)
    (plus I make enough to give the elderly widow woman a free cut, before she strokes-out....... all comes back to me. Love Karma, or hate it, it is what it is)

5. metro-hp_48

from TN

P.S. Like "stripes" are just an illusion, it's ALL an illusion of perception. If they perceive they are getting a deal, they are.
    Trust me Lawnwizards, you'll be just fine. Takes time to grow.
    Good luck in KY this 2004. (plan to get back up there alot this season. to Six Flags Going to spend alot of time on Me this year. Already made mine, just crusing and enjoying the fruits of my past labors)

6. lawnwizards

Metro-hp_48,
    you mean Six Flags in Louisville? or wasn't it called Kentucky Kingdom? anyway, how is it? i've never been. me and the wife are planning a trip to busch gardens in virginia this summer.

7. metro-hp_48

from TN

Well, to me it's very nice. (yeah, alot of my friends still call it Kentucky Kingdom) I love all amusement parks. Have been wanting to go to Busch Gardens for along time. When I retire, I'm going to spend the rest of my life tring to go to all of them.
    (speaking of Louisville.......whooo - Freedom Hall - a blonde in a leather skirt - a Kiss concert........but that's another story...... didn't hurt they were selling Jack Daniels.
    Alot of good memories in the great state of KY.

8. lawnwizards

every been to kings island? they have some really great rides. i also hear that cedar point in sandusky is a great place to go. they have a roller coaster that goes like 92 mph.

9. metro-hp_48

from TN

Oh man Cedar Point has been on my to-do list forever, but still haven't made it by yet. Will deff. be on my first parks to visit list.
    (got to love the internet, being able to check out everything before you get there) Deff. going to retire and do nothing but.
    Looking at travel trailors, Mobile Homes, ect. But think I can get a better deal in November, so I'll wait. WIll prob. be my last year in the business, but will drop by here from time-to-time to see who's doing what to whom, and if their getting away with it.

10. lawnwizards

so did you make the right decision by doing lawncare? i mean did you make the money you thought you would or would you have chosen a different path? i have a wife and a 3 year old daughter and i wanna do whats good for them. i love being outdoors and i love cutting, i just wanna know in your opinion if its worth it.

thanks for all of your replies.