1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Does my price sound good?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by cuttinggrassiscool, Apr 3, 2007.

1. cuttinggrassiscool

cuttinggrassiscool LawnSite Member

I recently gaave a price for 730 sq ft of sod work. The area was above grade by 3 to 6 inches or maybe a bit more in some places and would have to be graded. My total price was 600. 210 for the sod (no markup) 75 for delivery (45mins away, they company wanted 150) and 240 to prep, about 30 cents a ft^2 (including removal of old turf, grading, tilling large rock removal in first 4 to 6 inches and incorporting fertilizer), plus about 75 for thr fert and aplication. I know thats not exaclt 600. but i rounded up a few dollars. The guy has not returned my fax or my call, so im guessing he thinks im crazy. I thought if anything i was on the low side, am i crazy?
  2. Focal Point Landscapes

Focal Point Landscapes LawnSite Senior Member

You are certainly not too high on your bid.
  3. Matts lawn care

Matts lawn care LawnSite Senior Member
    from MD

You underbid that one. I just finished a 530sq foot job for 950. its a lot of grunt work. the job included grading 2-4 in ($160) and hauling away old mulch ($280) topsoil 3 yards ($150) and the rest for sod.
  4. Grits

Grits LawnSite Silver Member
    from Florida

I just got a 900 sq ft job. Doing it for $850. The only thing I am doing is scraping the top layer off and installing the sod. It will take me about 4 hrs by myself.
  5. cuttinggrassiscool

Just to clarify, although i will have to haul some stuff away, the majority was going to go to a low spot that he wanted brought up and seeded in his yard, so their would not be as high of a charge for that. If im understanding you, its his ignorance and not my high pricing? i just wish people would have the decency to call and say no thanks
  6. garrettlawn

garrettlawn LawnSite Member

We have a 660 square foot job we are laying sod on for $1025.00 No grading hardly. Bit of tilling some petemoss into the dirt then laying sod. I think you are rather low.
  7. supercuts

supercuts LawnSite Silver Member

600-210 materials-75 delivery, that only $315 for grading and installing. a bit low. id markup the sod a hair and charge at least $100 delivery, make installation cost the same as the "sale" price of sod,
  8. mulchmaster

mulchmaster LawnSite Member
    from ohio

I would say you are low, but that's just me. Sounds like you have a bit of grading work ahead of you.
  9. cuttinggrassiscool

Well, it seems that it is his loss and not mine, its been a week and he hasnt called. Thanks for all of the advice. To be honest i thought i was a bit on the low side, but i havnt done a lot of work like this before and i didnt want to charge top dollar for a job that may not have been top quality. Im not saying that i couldnt handle it, just that their may be a few minor mistakes in the process. Thanks again for all the advice.