Does my PVB need replacing?

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by ekel, Jul 27, 2005.

1. ekel

ekel LawnSite Member

We had a leak in our sprinkler system recently and along with fixing that (and a few other things that were just done wrong at one time) the repair person told me we should replace the PVB due to a few cracks on the top (you can see these when you lift the rubber top piece off).

I guess the thinking is if they have cracked before they are likely to again and the next time it could be worse (he said that type of crack was caused by a freeze).

I'm just wondering how important this is if we are careful and winterize he system each fall.

Opinions, please

2. dozerboy

dozerboy LawnSite Member

If it is just the plastic piece inside you can buy a repair kit. The only reason to replace the entire pvb would be cracks in the case or no repair parts available. What brand of pvb is it?

3. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

It is very important to winterize your system every year you see the result of not doing so by the damage to your PVB now don't you?

4. jerryrwm

jerryrwm LawnSite Bronze Member

If the brass/bronze housing has no cracks, but the internals do, then No the PVB does not need to be replaced. The bonnet assy, poppet and/or check valve may need replacing. And then the device needs to be re-tested and certified also.

Make sure it is properly winterized this fall. Get all the water out and wrap ir with insulation.

Jerry

5. ekel

ekel LawnSite Member

We DID winterize last fall as it was our first winter in the house (I have no idea how it was taken care of the 6 winters before that).

It looked like the inside piece had been replaced before (per my sprinkler guy)and the cracks were on the outside so we went ahead and replaced it. There were many odd things about the way this system was set up/repaired in the past so I feel better knowing everything is done better this time.

6. jerryrwm

Was this a Toro PVB? If it was, then you did right by replacing it.

7. Remember how the white plastic piece that held the ball valves on to those old toro pvb used to crack? Ka chingggg....I had a love / hate relationship w/ those pvbs jerr.

8. jerryrwm

I've seen quite a few of them held in place with a piece of wire. One that has been that way for nearly three years that I have been servicing across the street from. I've put a card in the door several times but no calls yet. Apparently this was one of those systems that the city doesn't know about - no permit pulled so no backflow inspection required.

And when doing a certidfication on those that still work, I take the factory installed test cocks off and put on a couple spare brass ones from my kit. Make the test and then swap the test cocks so they have their original ones.

The love/hate amounts to about a $275.00 bill when it is replaced with a new Febco or Conbraco.

Jerry